I have 0 pedals.. where to start?

DLDude

• Members

I am pedaless. Now, i'm into a kind of spacey type of music (mostly Radiohead and Sigur Ros). I'm guess BOSS is the way to go. Ive considered a DD3/DD6, or a reverb pedal. All these are pretty pricey (perhaps a bit cheaper on ebay).

Are there certain pedals EVERYONE should have in the beginning, such as a compressor/sustainer, or EQ or what? Xmas is coming up, and I may have a little money to buy some stuff with.

Bring on the suggestions!

• Members

Well what type of sounds do you want to create? I think one of the worst methods to go about things is to ask people "What should I be using?" etc. because it becomes more about what you are supposed to do rather than what you want to create. And that leads to GAS. Badtimes.

There is really no rule as to which stompboxes to get first or which type of tones to get. Jimmy Page used a guitar and an overdriven amp, maybe with some echo thrown in and a wah wah every once in a while. That's it. So really, figure out your style and what you want to achieve, and move from there.

If you want to create some interesting textures and spacey things, echo is always a good way to go. I use a Dan-Echo for that, and I think it is a great effect. There tons of options for echo ranging from $75 to thousands.

I would just figure out what you want to achieve and go from there, and there are always people here to help you out when you are specifically looking for things.

So basically, there is no rule, follow your ear. And good luck!

• Members

What is your amp and guitar?

I agree with Zep. I'd suggest going to a store and trying out anything that looks interesting (Of course, that could be because I'm tired of giving good reviews of things I don't own. Isn't that right, whitepapa?:D ).

It's definitely about you, and until you go out and try things and see what you like, you will be redundantly disappointed with what we tell you to get. It's about you.

That being said, the DE7 is the best delay for the price range.:D

• Members

Well, i do mostly clean, echoey (or delayed) guitaring. Nothing special, no massive solos. I'm going to be getting a Ebow pretty soon, so I may want some verb to go with that.

As for playing them in the store.. whenever I go to a store, they never have pedals just laid out for me to jam with.
Sometimes they have a board set up to show them off, but they arent ever near amps for me to just plug-and-play. Perhaps im just missing them.

Im kind of interested in the DD6 because i really like that reverse function, I might use it on my digi-piano as well. I think if i were to get a delay, then it would have to be able to reverse, so im going to research the pedals mentioned here a bit

And about amps, I actually dont use them. I just record stuff/mess around. I would be putting it through my V-amp (or maybe soon a Pod 2.0). I know they have effects, but they arent nearly customizable enough for me. But, the reverbs on the Amp Mods aren too bad, so I'm not sure i need a verb pedal.

• Members
Originally posted by DLDude

As for playing them in the store.. whenever I go to a store, they never have pedals just laid out for me to jam with.

Sometimes they have a board set up to show them off, but they arent ever near amps for me to just plug-and-play. Perhaps im just missing them.

Just_Ask.jpg

And about amps, I actually dont use them. I just record stuff/mess around. I would be putting it through my V-amp (or maybe soon a Pod 2.0). I know they have effects, but they arent nearly customizable enough for me. But, the reverbs on the Amp Mods aren too bad, so I'm not sure i need a verb pedal.

How very Garbage of you.;)

• Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

You should add some type of delay to your arsenal.
:cool:

:idea:Brilliant idea!:idea:

Originally posted by jasonfuzz

"I want some vintage delay pedals"

"I guess you can buy some vintage delay pedals

"Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll buy some vintage delay pedals"

• Members

yeah, delay is an almost must for any kind of spacey music.
you should look into the DD-20 and DL4. both have the reverse you want and a whole lot of other options. Sigur Ros and Radiohead both use the DL4.
or the Echo Park is a nice one in a compact pedal form, which is much like the DL4 but slightly better in tone--just not as many features.
go ahead and splurge on the delay; sounds like you'll get a lot of use out of it and there are cheaper choices for things like fuzz, flange, etc.

as for eq and compressor, some people can't live without 'em, some never bothered with 'em. different strokes. maybe just tinker around with the fx on the pod and v-amp and see what kind of thing might be useful adn go from there.

• Members

If you are thinking about a DD6 you owe it to yourself to try out a DD20. It is only $20 more and has a billion more features. I speak from experience on this, I got a DD6 after playing with one in a guitar center for a little while, I wasn't really thinking about other options and it sounded pretty good, and "warp" mode was fun, so I bought it. Then a few months later one of my friends got a DD20 and not only was I blown away by some of the things it could do that my dd20 could not, but by the minimal price difference.

Also the tap tempo and looping features on the DD6 can be a pain in the ass some times (hold the pedal down for x seconds, then tap y times, then hold for z seconds to cancel the tap, then release and tap it again to turn it off... just a pain in the ass).

The DE7 is another good delay option though, and if you don't mind watching stuff on ebay the DOD fx90 is an awesome deal. Not very many features, (none really) but it is silly how cheap they go some times. Definitely the cheapest analog delay you will find.

When I started buying pedals I just looked up what my favorite artists used and copied them. I think my first dirt box was a Rat. Just be careful, this hobby can get very expensive in a very short period of time :D

• Members

Let me start by saying that I eventually came to hate every multi-effect gizmo I've tried. Having said that, I'd recommend you get a muti-effect gizmo and here's why.

You can play with almost every effect cheaply and easily. Get an idea of what you like and don't like, but always keep in mind that the effects on offer will often bare little or no resemblence to actual stand-alone quality examples. Especially ther overdrives & distortions, delay & modulation will be better.

The Magicstomp would be a nice place to start, you can then build a small arsenal around it. Maybe add an overdrive, fuzz or wah whilst still using the modulations and delays of the Magicstomp.

Good luck.:thu:

• Members

I'd recommend going and buying a good delay that will be there for a long-long time (such as the DD-20 and DL-4) and going all out on it. When you try to update little by little it's just silly. Go all out on one thing, which settles you for life. You also might wanna get a tuner, but i guess you could go without it in the beginning phases and playing mostly for yourself.

• Members

Ive tried one of those Digitech effects module things, and they are OK, but I'm not sure they even give a good sound. Im going to head to the store this week and look at the DD-20, and possibly Ebay it (saw some for 120-150 i think). Seems like a good choice to me

• Members
Originally posted by The_Spice

Just be careful, this hobby can get very expensive in a very short period of time
:D

If only I had heard such sage advice . . .

I have a dd3 that was given to me, it's the most basic boss but it's still a blast. If you have the opportunity try delay with a compressor in front, it really makes it sound alive.

• Members

I am pedaless. Now, i'm into a kind of spacey type of music (mostly Radiohead and Sigur Ros). I'm guess BOSS is the way to go. Ive considered a DD3/DD6, or a reverb pedal. All these are pretty pricey (perhaps a bit cheaper on ebay).

Are there certain pedals EVERYONE should have in the beginning, such as a compressor/sustainer, or EQ or what? Xmas is coming up, and I may have a little money to buy some stuff with.

Bring on the suggestions!

Boss ME-50 and go from there..

Archived