Why is learning about electronics so hard?

gr8fuldodd

• Members

I don't get it. I'm a smart guy. I am! Ask my friends.

Why is it when I try to learn something about electronics I just get confused.

It's like every sentence that explains what a particular term is, introduces two more terms/concepts that I don't understand.

It's ridiculous.

• Members

I'm in law school so I can't devote tons of time to it. But since I love guitars, amps, and effects so much, I thought it would be worthwile to finally learn about it.

Luckily I have a friend that works on chips for a living. He's pretty knowledgable about a lot of this stuff. But he's so bad at explaining it. He does the thing I was talking about; he starts explaining what a word means by either using that word in the definition or mentioning another word I also don't know.

As god is my witness, if I can master future interests I can learn electronics!

• Members

Don't worry about it bro! It'll all make sense when you need it too (did that make sense??) As far as pedal building goes just learn the basics like biasing a transistor or increasing the gain response of a op-amp. Don't get caught up in trying to work out the nitty-gritty at the moment, leave that to the experts, experiment and have fun...

and stay away from harmful mains power!! that {censored} will kill ya faster than you can say 'what happens when I stick a fork in here?'

• Members

'what happens when I stick a fork in here?'

well now why on baby jesus' beautiful green earth would you wanna do such a thang?

Electronics are crazy, I myself just finished my first soldering project (TB Looper), so I too am a n00b when it comes to this stuff. But it's really cool to do and I enjoy learning about it.

Keep a straight head on, it'll come to ya :thu:

• Members

The only way you'll learn electronics is through projects. Buy some BYOC kits, get familiar with building a pedal.

Buy an electronics primer and learn about components and basic theory. It may take several readings, but it will sink in, especially after you start applying the knowledge.

Join the forum at DIYstompboxes.com. Read the threads and you'll start gaining a basic understanding of how components affect a signal.

Dano from Beavis on the forum here wisely pointed out that everything you need to know is on the Internet. Search out things when you don't understand. It's all about reading and then applying that knowledge.

• Members

Originally posted by StevoHuff

well now why on baby jesus' beautiful green earth would you wanna do such a thang?

Electronics are crazy, I myself just finished my first soldering project (TB Looper), so I too am a n00b when it comes to this stuff. But it's really cool to do and I enjoy learning about it.

Keep a straight head on, it'll come to ya
:thu:

Yep, thats it, learn by doing, trail and error etc etc.

A looper is a great first project. Really basic signal routing, good stuff bro :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

ohms law is the basis for just about everything until you get in to digital stuff.

Study that.

Ive read practical electronics for inventors at least 15 times.

ohms law is the basis for physiology in general. Medicine is derived massively and explain based on ohms law as well.

V=IR

or I=V/R where V is cardiac output, R is vessel resistance and I is total end organ flow.

if you need more I, heart either pumps faster or stronger to make more V. Equally R is variable based on desired end organ flow. ;)

• Members

like someone else said DIY projects is the best way to learn. hands on stuff will do it. even modding a current pedal will teach you lots (not to mention give you some good soldeing practice). just keep it at. i'm far from knowing much about it, but i learn enough to do a mod or fix an appliance.

here are some useful links (aside from main pages that are easy to find):

http://www.muzique.com/schem/led.htm

http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Switches/index.htm

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/index.htm

(theres tons of more info at the main domain of both of these sites! highly recommended!!!)

• Members

Many years ago my brother had one of those Heathkit trainer boards. He taught me a lot about electronics and would test me by giving me a bunch of components and asking me to build a circuit to achieve a certain task. It was an effective way to learn though I didn't stick with it. I guess it just didn't interest me as much as other stuff but I could do it if I really wanted to.

• Members

it can definitely tough to wrap your head around at first.. i'm just in the beginning myself so there's loads of things that still confuse me but like a lot of people have already said you learn as you go. My first project was a Mosfet boost which thankfully I had some help to answer my dozen or so questions to get me going. A month later I've built two other pedals and rehoused my Big Muff, it's addictive :freak:

• Members

Okay, I made a first step. I picked up an Electronics for Dummies and a friend of mine had a Radio Shack 300 in one electronic project lab that he never used and lent me.

I started reading the book and will be testing out that lab during the holiday.

to the batcave!

Archived