If you had to play your music live without pedals

veil

• Members

Could you do it? That is to say, with just your guitar and amp (let's presume the amp is of your choice, so maybe it has distortion), would you still be able to play your songs solidly? Do the songs depend on the specific timbre effects give you?

As for me, I love using effects so much, but I don't write music with effects in mind. I could definitely do it.

• Members

Last time I played out I used a boost, delay and vibe. I used the boost a lot, delay once and vibe twice.

If I had to go without pedals, non vibe would be fine, non delay irksome and non boost, turn the am up and ride the volumes.

I tend to use a lot of od/fuzz pedals (I have 5 ) and rotate them on two boards depending on the music. I like vibe as it adds texture and love delay (I have 3 again rotating them).

So to actually answer the question, yes I could but I think my sound would suffer.

BTW I play out with a 10w tube amp, so thats the main part of 'my sound'.

• Members

Almost everything I write these days are very effects dependent. Modulation not so much, but things like delay and pitch shifting are very apparent and needed in my music as if there were three or four guitar players playing at the same time. Imagine "Where The Streets Have No Name" without delay.

• Members

I could play a lot of my stuff without effects. Some songs definately need delay / phaser etc - they were written with them.

Others just use a touch of tremolo or phaser here and there, just on a certain intro, chorus, solo etc.

I have recently played a set without my pedals and pulled it off quite well, I found it quite a liberating experience playing guitar > amp. I can get enough distortion out of my Marshall but I prefer to use OD pedals so again this was not a problem.

I'm going to vote for "Most of my music, sure"

• Members

Sadly i voted foe, Only some of it" . . . because NO AMP under the sun can recreate my cote tone, ie. vintage FUZZ !!!

. . . and i am not about to cut up my speaker cones either !

Saying that, THIS amp, even with the vol. only at noon, got some serious sweet FUZZ tones !

Just a pitty it sounded like a 3-5 watter at noon, and at max. vol. only increased the amount of fuzz, not vol. !

TeiscoAmp.jpg

Still, almost better sounding than the best boutique fuzz out there !

:evil:

• Members

For the record, I don't think it's a bad thing if your music is effects-dependant. All of our music is something dependant. What if I asked if you could play all your music live without a guitar, i.e., arranged for different instruments? There is always something that makes your music strong, that it needs.

Archived