I'm picking up radio stations through my rig...

Geno_xl

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

Do you have a wah in front of it..?

yeah but it wasn't turned on....does that matter?

Actually, now that I think about it it was doing that when I tried out the MXR pedal by itself.

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

It may have an internal grounding issue if it's doing it on it's own...

What confuses me is that it does this with my Tube amp but not when I use it with my pod xt. although I'm only using the pod with headphone on.

• Members

I used to live by a big power line and picked up radio all the time. One night I started getting fire and brimstone christian radio. Ran it through my memory man and WHOA BOy was that cool to pitch bend with the delay knob. "And the lord said unto abrahaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm"

• Members

Just a guess, but the tubes in the amp are acting as rectifiers (i.e. detecters0 for the radio signal (if it is AM) and the successive amp stages are amplfying the the signal. The Pod is digital and doesn't amplify much so this would explain the reason you hear it on the tube amp and not the Pod.

• Members

I had the same experience with a Bad Monkey pedal last year. The pedal went back and I didn't replace it, and I've never heard the radio through my tube amp since.

Do you by any chance live within a few miles of any FM towers? I do, and the local station must not have very discriminating equipment, because they bleed all over the FM dial when you're using a cheap FM tuner. When I use a good quality FM reciever, it's not noticeable.

Originally posted by LavaMan

Try replacing the cables going to and from it, or get a power conditioner.

Bingo! It's usually cable / ground issue. Keep your cables as short as reasonably possible, use well-shielded and well built, high-quality cables, re-orient the cables (they're acting as an antenna and picking up the AM, and that's getting amplified) and make sure your guitars are well shielded.

You can also build a portable Faraday cage, but you'd be harder to see live while you and your rig are sitting inside of one. ;)

Archived