What's the deal with the Big Muff?

mmmiddle

• Members

I'm honestly wondering who uses these pedals and why? A guitarist I've been playing with has one of these and it sounds like crap to me. I haven't heard him do one good thing with it, so I'm wondering if it's just me and I don't have an ear for it, or if other people agree, or if there is some specific style of music out there that it is well suited for? Seems like it would be applicable to the whole grunge thing, which IMO was never about good tone, just dirt.

• Members

A big muff was the fist pedal i got when i was 14. I went through a few years when i didn't use pedals, but now I'm 21 and i feel uncomfortable when i don't have a big muff at hand.

Edit: I prefer the russian to the NYC reissue, but I'm almost done building a BYOC Large Beaver, which is a clone of the original triangle knob muff. I'll let you all know how that sounds.

Guest Anonymous

very cool pedal for fuzzy fun at bedroom levels......i always have to go right into sabbath stuff when i play one.

and for me its the NYC reissue.

• Members

Originally posted by YourHerodDGC

A big muff was the fist pedal i got when i was 14. I went through a few years when i didn't use pedals, but now I'm 21 and i feel uncomfortable when i don't have a big muff at hand.

Edit: I prefer the russian to the NYC reissue, but I'm almost done building a BYOC Large Beaver, which is a clone of the original triangle knob muff. I'll let you all know how that sounds.

hehe, you said 'fist.'

• Members
Originally posted by mmmiddle

I'm honestly wondering who uses these pedals and why? A guitarist I've been playing with has one of these and it sounds like crap to me. I haven't heard him do one good thing with it, so I'm wondering if it's just me and I don't have an ear for it, or if other people agree, or if there is some specific style of music out there that it is well suited for? Seems like it would be applicable to the whole grunge thing, which IMO was never about good tone, just dirt.

why don't you find mark arm in your city and ask him? ;)

• Members

investigate:

Smashing Pumpkin's 'Siamese Dream' --- the entire album. more like a latter-day Boston debut album than grunge.

Isley Brothers' 'Summer Breeze' --- whoever thought a {censored}in Seals and Crofts cover could ever rock so hard? from a soul/dance band, no less. Ernie justifies the existence of the muff with this track alone.

Dinosaur Jr's 'Green Mind' --- sure, maybe grunge if you wanna stretch it, but there are few guitarists who can make a guitar sound so heroically soaring and so crippilingly pained, often within three notes total. the muff is irreplacable in this setting, but then so are the Marshall SuperLeads at 10.

which brings up a good point --- a Big Muff's chosen environment is not a Peavey Studio 40 cranked up, its a tube rig thats generating big heat out the back.

• Members

i love my muff with my strat, with my lp i like my tonebender clone more.

maybe i should spent more time with muff and lp.

but i put my muff away for almost one year cause i hated it at that time. then i listened to siamese dream again (one of my favourite albums which i hadn't listened either for a long time) and since then i put the muff back again on the board...

• Members
Originally posted by L6Sguy

which brings up a good point --- a Big Muff's chosen environment is not a Peavey Studio 40 cranked up, its a tube rig thats generating big heat out the back.

exactly.............:thu:

• Members

Just started using a little big muff. It's noisy as hell when I'm not playing, but I don't care because it's in a loop. The description of 'creamy sustain' is entirely true of this pedal, even though it's evil and noisy most of the time. It does power chords and lead lines a lot better than anything else if you ask me. I think the pedals that get the most love/hate reaction are the ones that really bring out your playing.

• Members

You'd probably be more happy with a tubescreamer. :D

A big muff is {censored}ing awesome. I thought the nyc ri and the black russian. The lbm is okay, but it gets pretty farty. The mayo completely kills those. I like the ICBM too. It's muff-ish yet is more of a distortion, though I have yet to find something that sounds as good with a wah pedal. I like muffs.

• Members
Originally posted by Mr.Picklebottom

a tube rig thats generating big heat out the back.

huh? you mean turn the volume up? thats a hilarious way of wording that. im going to start asking people to "generate big heat out the back" instead of turning the volume up.

:)

lotta young 'uns often think that having the gain cranked is having the amp cranked. as you know, this couldnt be further than the truth, as well as not a great generator of heat (often a concern in chilly NE). efficient speakers will also up the volume, but ultimately keep result in the master being set lower as the volume delivered will be relatively greater.

if you cant fry an egg on your tube rig, pack it up and get a Smokey. a tube amp owes you nothing below 4 on the master, and thats gonna generate some heat.

• Members

LOL. I do love my tubescreamer.

My guitarist pal uses the Big Muff Pi for mostly rhythm and maybe that's the bad choice.

As for Mark Arm . . . I like Mudhoney for what they are, but I don't play music like that and never will...

Archived