Even crazier than the Gear Page cable thread.

therhodeo

• Members

For me:

Picks make a huge difference in tone. It's one of the first tweeks I try.

Light picks for acoustic, strummy, without a hard front end.

Gatorgrips for a warmer attack.

And cables do make a difference. Some are clearer, some warmer, some harsh.

Does the direction of cables make a difference? Uh, if it does, I can't be bothered to figure it out.

But I will mess with picks and good cables.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by whitepapagold

I can let the gigging musicians slide but in a solid listening environment, recording musicians would DEFINITELY benefit from it (and do everyday). If you record at home through prosumer gear, then I would 100% agree- ABSOLUTELY doesn't matter. If you have access to low noise/high gain pres, then youll hear it. Crap cables- especially really cheap ones- sound like crap. I really think the question is "do you CARE" not "is it better or worse". Does "what" you hear actually matter. Crap cables have been an integral unintentional aspect of peoples tone for YEARS!!! If you can't hear it then you are hearing a very different world than many others out here! Tone loss is quite common, even at young ages. If you DON"T hear it then GREAT! You shouldn't care at all!
:thu:
To argue that others can't is just silly!

I can tell bad cables from good. But honestly, for most recordings (demo or otherwise) guitarists would be better suited learning how to dial in a sound that sounds good on tape, learning how rooms/isos sound on tape, how mic selection and placement work, effects, and mixing before then worry about the direction of their damn cables. I've seen dudes with expensive boutique gear sound terrible in the studio, and people with borderline trashy equipment sound great, simply because they understood the strengths and limitations of their setup.

Furthermore, you can make excellent recordings without all that hi-fi bull{censored}. Hendrix, to use one example, had plenty of success using coiled cables, which totally cut your highs.

It's not necessarily about maintaining the purest signal, but about doing something interesting with an impure signal.

• Members
Originally posted by S.L.B.

And as some sugguested Sound doesn't travel through cables at the speed of light, but a % of that number because of material, winding, etc.

Sound travels at the speed of sound. Which is 700mph-plus in dry air and a warm-ish day. Don't know what it is through a cable but I'm pretty sure you don't want to break it since the sonic boom might break your speaker/s. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

I can tell bad cables from good. But honestly, for most recordings (demo or otherwise) guitarists would be better suited learning how to dial in a sound that sounds good on tape, learning how rooms/isos sound on tape, how mic selection and placement work, effects, and mixing before then worry about the direction of their damn cables. I've seen dudes with expensive boutique gear sound terrible in the studio, and people with borderline trashy equipment sound great, simply because they understood the strengths and limitations of their setup.

Furthermore, you can make excellent recordings without all that hi-fi bull{censored}. Hendrix, to use one example, had plenty of success using coiled cables, which totally cut your highs.

It's not necessarily about maintaining the purest signal, but about doing something interesting with an impure signal.

+1

there are better uses of time. Learning how to intonate a guitar perhaps?

• Members
Originally posted by elctmist

Sound travels at the speed of sound. Which is 700mph-plus in dry air and a warm-ish day. Don't know what it is through a cable but I'm pretty sure you don't want to break it since the sonic boom might break your speaker/s.
;)

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

• Members
Originally posted by catalinbread

That thread is still going. Whats worse are the other people chiming in with support. At first I thought it was the BEST mockery thread of 2007... Now I am begining to believe people are more diseased with psychoacoustic illnesses than I previously thought.

they're all buying it! crazy!!! :freak:

• Members

Seriously I have been LMAO for the last twenty minutes reading through this. It is utter unadulterated BULL{censored} it really cracks me up how there are loads of people jumping on the band wagon, I hope this guys boss at berklee doesn't see what he is being paid to teach to students.

• Members
Originally posted by cabrasguitar

Thats what I was thinking but I think he is serious and I am going to be physically sick.

The first part is serious. 741MPH *is* the speed of sound in dry, warm air. That's why you hear a sonic boom when aircraft break the sound barrier.

The speed of sound through a cable?

:D :D :D :D

• Members
Originally posted by Elliott Damage

i have always been confused by people who are obsessed with 'vintage tone' and then fret true bypass when Hendrix (along with lots of old rockers), who is God to alot of these fellows, used notoriously tone sucking equipment.

Yeah, no kidding.:D

• Members

The first part is serious. 741MPH *is* the speed of sound in dry, warm air. That's why you hear a sonic boom when aircraft break the sound barrier.

:D

Of course that is what is going through a cable, sound right, you can't see your guitar notes.... can you? I know sound comes out of MY guitar so obviously that is what happens. I was refering to being physically sick through the fear of a perforated ear drum from the afforementioned sonic boom,

:D:p:D:p

• Members
Originally posted by Zlandicar

If you use red cables, the signal will travel faster and you won't have this problem. DUH.

Thats actually scientifically proven. Another scientifically proven fact is the pair of socks I wear ONLY when I am on stage. I wear them on stage to compensate for the fact that many venues have a mono house PA which degrades the natural Stereophonic sound of my Super Reverb. These socks compensate for this. For no reason can I wear them while practicing at home.

• Members

Timmy?
Landgraff?
CJOD?

rinse and repeat

Timmy?
Landgraff?
CJOD?

rinse and repeat

Timmy?
Landgraff?
CJOD?

rinse and repeat

Timmy?
Landgraff?
CJOD?

rinse and repeat

Timmy?
Landgraff?
CJOD?

rinse and repeat

Timmy?
Landgraff?
CJOD?

rinse and repeat

Timmy?
Landgraff?
CJOD?

rinse and repeat

Timmy?
Landgraff?
CJOD?

rinse and repeat

Timmy?
Landgraff?
CJOD?

rinse and repeat

Timmy?
Landgraff?
CJOD?

rinse and repeat

Of course, there are 'traitors' that dare to try a carb pedal or ask questions about the landgraff rip off of the other guy's ripoff of the OTHER guy's ripoff and.....(rinse and repeat)

• Members

I actually have found that the 3600-conductor cable has the best tone for mid-range warmth and organic feel. I wire two groups of 1000 conductors together and use the last 600 conductors as a floating shield here's what it looks like before i solder on the switchcraft plug:

124219690.jpg

Also check out this cross-section of my effects patch cables:

coax1A.jpg

Each individual copper conductor is brushed at a certain frequency from 10Hz to 40KHz to facilitate the movment of electrons. This is best used with short cable runs due to the stiffness of the cable.

• Members

Not so fast guys, this may explain why active electronic preamps on a guitar seem to improve the sound. They ACCELERATE the sound at the beginning of the cable run and it gets to the amp quicker. I guess that's why they are all pretty small--if they accelerated the sound too much you would get a sonic boom in your amp. That would sound like {censored}.

:):idea::wave:

Archived