Educated in music?

sinew1958

• Members

All music education does it let you speak the language, it doesn't open up any possiblities that don't exist without that education.

I always knew I'd cop some flak for my original post because people are going to fight to the death to reinforce the false security they get by reassuring themselves that ignoring music education will somehow make them an exception or less bound to the rules, creatively speaking.

Yup, and people will also fight to the death to reassure themselves that their years and years of music education somehow let them write better music than someone without that education.

• Members

All music education does it let you speak the language, it doesn't open up any possiblities that don't exist without that education.

Heh, you are kidding yourself... perhaps it might be true for an education in something along the lines of performance, but in composition its way of base. I actually thought exactly the same thing before it did any study and was somewhat apprehensive about it. Let me ask, have you done any formal music study?

More importantly, do you think those possibilities that are reliant on that education are going to have any detrimental effects on the way a person listens to your music? Take the music by Beethoven for example? Or jazz music? Perhaps an electronic music example... say, Matthew Herbert?

Yup, and people will also fight to the death to reassure themselves that their years and years of music education somehow let them write better music than someone without that education.

I don't need to fight or reassure myself about anything. I am very happy with what I do and how I do it, thats all that matters to me.

Let me ask you another question, will you be writing the same type of music on the day you die as you are today?

• Members

I'm not sure who this hard sell is aimed at. I don't think anyone here is arguing that a music education is a bad thing. My main beef here is that you seem to imply that having no formal music training automatically makes someone incapable of writing anything meaningful, and that's complete baloney.

• Members

I'm not sure who this hard sell is aimed at. I don't think anyone here is arguing that a music education is a bad thing. My main beef here is that you seem to imply that having no formal music training automatically makes someone incapable of writing anything meaningful, and that's complete baloney.

No, not at all. Like I said, my first post was regarding the example already given in reply to the idea that avoiding music education will somehow make you a more creative or meaningful musicians, composer, writer, etc than if you gained a music education. Gaining a music education certianly changes the way you view and approach music as a whole, which I think scares some people because *god forbid* they may end up writing music completely different to what they originally did. Just the same as things people call "elitist" or academic. People think that studying modernism will suddenly turn you into a tweed coat wearing chin scratcher... not at all. Whenever you turn on your computer and start sequencing though, you will think to yourself "this is the result of moderism" along with all its related methods, processes and thoughts which may be very very complex, yet still yield a very simple and elegant piece of music.

• Members

No one said that avoiding an education will make you more creative than if you HAD an education. All Yoozer said was that someone without training is unafraid to try anything and everything. Granted, without an education, this approach will mostly result in crap, but perhaps once in a blue moon, something interesting might pop out. It really wasn't an argument AGAINST formal study.

• Members

No one said that avoiding an education will make you more creative than if you HAD an education. All Yoozer said was that someone without training is unafraid to try anything and everything. Granted, without an education, this approach will mostly result in crap, but perhaps once in a blue moon, something interesting might pop out. It really wasn't an argument AGAINST formal study.

I know it wasn't an argument against formal training, he even elaborated on it. But do you think that gaining formal training will make you affraid to try anything and everything?

Archived