Discovered something very lame about Vox Cooltron pedals!!

Ostracized

• Members

You wouldn't believe how much gear does that with the LED's. Vox Tonelab's, Digitech 2112 and 2120 (maybe even the 2101), Behringer stuff, etc. Yeah, it's bit stupid but the best way of determining if the tube has an impact on the circuit is to change out the tube. I've done this with the Tonelab and it makes a big difference.

• Members

Originally posted by 1DZReverendDavidLee

I love mine and I love the Cooltron too.
:cool:

Rev

Bonified Gear Slut
:o

The chances of you not loving a steel box with switches and knobs on it are pretty slim you filthy whore...

...just sayin'.:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by comfortablynumb

The tones are really great. Sounds like a cranked tube amp.. lots of harmonics. Very full sounding. I wouldn't mind having a mid knob, but I really don't miss it.

Here's a clip from one of our demos we did a while back.

• Members

As I understand it, the low voltage toob operates with next to no headroom (due to there being next to no plate voltage) so it clips the signal. This is exactly what you want a distortion pedal to do, no? I think it's a good design for a distortion pedal.

For a rackmount mic preamp tho - :freak:

• Members

All the Cooltron pedals I've played thru sounded great.

I demo'd all except for the Over the Top Boost.

The tube is being used as an integral part of the circuit (from the Vox website):

Want to know how it all works?

Normally, tubes are used at high voltages and this restricts their use in battery-powered devices such as guitar effects pedals. Historically, attempts have been made to use tubes at low voltages in what has been dubbed

• Members

Originally posted by jove

Want to know how it all works?

Normally, tubes are used at high voltages and this restricts their use in battery-powered devices such as guitar effects pedals. Historically, attempts have been made to use tubes at low voltages in what has been dubbed

• Members

Originally posted by AMZ-FX

No, the tubes in the Cooltron are used as common cathode gain stages just like in tube amp, not as buffers. There is a special servo circuit that makes the bias stable at low voltages. The heater is also run at low voltage and current for longer battery life... too low to make it glow.
:)

Best regards, Jack

Yeah, I couldn't remember if the Voxes used the "tube buffer" trick or not. I know that the Radials use it to help get around some patent issues (BK Butler).

Thanks for the info, Jack.

GRINGO

• Members

Originally posted by jove

I guess I wouldn't want to be accused of a crime with some of you guys sitting in the jury.

:rolleyes:

Better than a jury of Amp forumites.:freak::wave:

"Has the jury come to a unanimous verdict?"

"Yes we have your honour."

"Then what say you?"

"Brewtal gain M'lord!"

Archived