Delay

TeleMan1985

• Members

So, am I in a minority in preferring analogue delay to digital delay? I have a crappy Belcat Delay stompbox which will only go up to about 350ms, but I love it. Just use it for a little bit of slap back most of the time and it's beautiful. Then I have a Zoom multi-effects (I suppose I would like a DD-20 one day) which I use for longer delays and for pretending I'm the Edge, but it sounds so processed and computerised, compared to the analogue which sounds so natural. So which way do you guys tend to lean?

My other question is, what do you use your delays for? I've seen some fantastic boards on here, some of them with 3, 4 or 5 different delay units and you swear you need all of them. I'm just interested to know, as the only times I tend to use it are as I mentioned above.

Cheers..!:wave:

• Members

You're definitely not in the minority- you'll find a lot of analog delay fans (and snobs) around here. A lot of us are delay junkies, so things like DD-20s and DL-4s are a good bet for covering a lot of ground and getting decent analog and digital sounds without taking up too much room or costing a fortune.

My DL-4 is set to do several things:

Patch 1 has a short "slapback" echo and a longer echo with lots of repeats that I use with volume swells for synthy "pads".

Patch 2 has that U2 cascade thing set up on a tap tempo, with and without modulation

Patch 3 has "mild" self oscillation and crazy spaceship oscillation. Self-oscillation is essentially when the delay feeds back on itself and starts making crazy noises- that first sound you hear on "Planet Telex" by Radiohead, or the end of "Karma Police".

BTW, I'm not sure the Belcat delay is really analog. It's cheaper and easier for manufacturers to use digital delay chips, but then add EQ filtering to make them sound more "analog". Either way, it sounds good. That's the important part.

• Members

I have always run 2 delays in my setup.. a dig and an analogue.. Analogue being so much more tweakable.. Digital being more.. for lack of a better word, consistent? Predictable?

Akai EH1 (headrush)
SIB Echodrive.. the blue/tube one.

I like to call the SIB "The Keeper of the Ugly Sounds"

• Members

BTW, I'm not sure the Belcat delay is really analog. It's cheaper and easier for manufacturers to use digital delay chips, but then add EQ filtering to make them sound more "analog". Either way, it sounds good. That's the important part.

Lol, you've played one of these? I didn't think anybody would even of heard of the thing. I picked one up in this new pawn shop in town. It's the only time I've ever seen one anywhere...

• Members

You've landed in a Delay heavy environment mate ... there are MANY analogue delay nuts here as has been said already. More to the point people tend to prefer analogue tone to pure digital at this forum generally though the DD20 is among the most popular for general duty by sheer weight of coverage ...

I might add - I owned many analogue delays including the Dm3 and a Roland Re-201 Space Echo - when I bought the DD20 I A-B'd them both and was able to dial in the exact same sounds in the DD20 that I got from the RE-201 without the tape hiss, the tape rattling around the heads and other mojo that I found superfluous to my needs.

I subsequently sold the Space Echo and have had the DD20 for nearly 3 years now ... I recently bought a DE7 which covers the trippy DM3 type ground better and use them both. Keep in mind - the DE7 is a Digital also but sounds very dark and analogue. It's not a totally cut and dried argument these days between digital vs analogue regarding delay.

Just get a DD20 ...

• Members

....Then I have a Zoom multi-effects (I suppose I would like a DD-20 one day) which I use for longer delays and for pretending I'm the Edge, but it sounds so processed and computerised, compared to the analogue which sounds so natural.....

thats got less to do with being digital and more to do with being Zoom product.

Archived