Am I the only one here who doesn't like the Police?

hangwire

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Andy Summers is largely responsible for much of the en vogue use of effects in the late 70's and 80's ... he should be like some kind of Deity sitting at the header of the Effects forum.

To the AMP forum with you!
;)

why because he used a chrous pedal?

• Members

why because he used a chrous pedal?

You don't know much about him do ya ...

1st to really use Roland Guitar synths in major commercial music Roland GR-300's ... he used Electric Mistress, DD3 and Echoplex delays all kinds of cool {censored}.

Hey, dig who ya want ...

• Members
You don't know much about him do ya ...

1st to really use Roland Guitar synths in major commercial music Roland GR-300's ... he used Electric Mistress, DD3 and Echoplex delays all kinds of cool {censored}.

Hey, dig who ya want ...

i know, but I hae listened to at least 3 of the albums on road trips and whatnot, I don't remember hearing any guitar synth or other extraordinry stuff :confused: that's why I am confused about his effects usage status... I mean, DEVO has more wild and inovative effects going on in the 70s than I hear in the Police recordings. Was it more of a live performance thing?

• Members
i know, but I hae listened to at least 3 of the albums on road trips and whatnot, I don't remember hearing any guitar synth or other extraordinry stuff
:confused:
that's why I am confused about his effects usage status... I mean, DEVO has more wild and inovative effects going on in the 70s than I hear in the Police recordings. Was it more of a live performance thing?

Maybe you didn't know how to identify what you were listening for ... the Roland Guitar Synth is ALLOVER Zenyatta Mondatta ... the opening track, Don't Stand So Close ... that sound, the drone like synth sound that starts up ... that's NOT a keyboard but Andy Summers GR-300 Roland ... and the bridge is all guitar synth also ... it's used very obviously in some songs and with subtlety in others ... listen to Behind My Camel ... that's all Roland Guitar synth ... man he used many, many cool effects but didn't go overboard but managed to fill the sound out and use the space in an incredible way. That's largely the gift of what he did in that band ... all three of them were great musicians and wrote great powerful punchy songs.

Maybe you HAD to be there to get it ... I still LOVE the Police for everything they brought to the radio back when much of the radio was {censored}! Stewart Copeland is one kick arse drummer too ... I grew up playing drums and I have yet to hear a drummer in the 90's or 00's who matches him.

If ya don't get it nobody can tell you I guess.

• Members
I don't like them very much. Show off drummer and bad reggae accent.

Copeland has an incredible sense of rhythm that is so completely outside the western "box" which is why it sounds strange. He grew up in the middle east (dad in the CIA). Plus mos of his parts are not "busy" at all- it's all where you put the "1"

:p

• Members
:wave:
i don't see anyone who was alive in the 80s could like them as anything but nostalgia

That was pretty much my opinion, until I actually picked up a few of their albums. Their singles have obviously been overplayed, not to mention overused in many movie soundtracks. But, to me at least, their albums hold up really well on their own. My liking The Police has nothing to do with nostalgia. Just good, solid, interesting songwriting, and unique playing on the part of everyone involved. Now to compare them with Rush is simply unfair and inaccurate. Anyone who's really listened to both bands will laugh at that statement. Besides, when did The Police write a 20 minute song including drum interlude???

• Members
almost all guitarists used the {censored} out of all those cheesy racks and pedals in the 80s. thats what started the jaded 'thats too fake sounding' attitude. and to this day 80s music is why i cringe everytime i hear someone using chorus. ugh.
:mad:

:)

Errr Andy Summers wasn't using racks for his stuff with the Police ... I think you may need to check yer facts.

• Members

Copeland has an incredible sense of rhythm that is so completely outside the western "box" which is why it sounds strange. He grew up in the middle east (dad in the CIA). Plus mos of his parts are not "busy" at all- it's all where you put the "1"

:p

No, It didn't sound strange to me. I get what he's working with. Still too busy for me.

• Members

Stewart Copeland was the ruin of half the Drummers I played with.

Neil Peart ruined the other half.

Gimme a Ryth Section that listens to the Sales Brothers.

You don't say Hendrix is {censored} because millions of guitarists in bands tried to be like him and kept trying to ape him ... :freak:

Your predjudice is based on the people you played with having him as an influence and NOT matching up ...

• Members
Errr Andy Summers wasn't using racks for his stuff with the Police ... I think you may need to check yer facts.

the day i spend 1 minute researching the police is the day i stab myself in the face with a spoon.

i was generalizing. to praise someone for using alot of effects in the 80s is like praising a restaurant for serving food. they all do, and almost all guitarists in the 80s used alot of effects.:)

• Members

You don't say Hendrix is {censored} because millions of guitarists in bands tried to be like him and kept trying to ape him in bands ...
:freak:

Your predjudice is based on the people you played with having him as an influence and NOT matching up ...

Well, 1, I never played with people who aped Hendrix. and 2. If I did, I wouldn't think "That guy's stepping all over the vocals and ruining the groove by overplaying."

It's not prejudice at all. I just don't like listening to his playing. I didn't like his playing, or the people who decided he was justification for playing fills through an entire song.

• Members
the day i spend 1 minute researching the police is the day i stab myself in the face with a spoon.

i was generalizing. to praise someone for using alot of effects in the 80s is like praising a restaurant for serving food. they all do, and almost all guitarists in the 80s used alot of effects.

Few used them as innovatively as Summers ...

• Members

i was generalizing. to praise someone for using alot of effects in the 80s is like praising a restaurant for serving food. they all do, and almost all guitarists in the 80s used alot of effects.

Few used them as innovatively as Summers ... it's like saying "sure Picasso painted but loads of people painted during that time ... Picasso? SO WHAT!"

Yeah ok ...

• Members

Few used them as inovatively as Summers ... it's like saying "sure Picasso painted but loads of people painted during that time ... Picasso? SO WHAT!"

Yeah ok ...

• Members

Archived