Am I the only one here who doesn't like the Police?

hangwire

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, 1, I never played with people who aped Hendrix. and 2. If I did, I wouldn't think "That guy's stepping all over the vocals and ruining the groove by overplaying."

It was an analogy ... and this is semantics at this stage. Copeland WAS the groove along with Sting. If you didn't dig that groove that's one thing but denying the guys talent is pretty absurd.

• Members

It was an analogy ... and this is semantics at this stage. Copeland WAS the groove along with Sting. If you didn't dig that groove that's one thing but denying the guys talent is pretty absurd.

Sting's groove I liked better. His bass playing was tasteful. On the occasions when he and Copeland were laying down a good rock groove, I liked them better. When Copeland was restraining his hyper hihat act, I liked them better.

But there are plenty of times, for me, where he plays like an egomaniac, with no concern for the song, and a burning urge to draw attention to himself. I feel that way about Peart, too. Talent (or should I say Chops), sure. Just dial it back about 35%.

• Members

Sting's groove I liked better. His bass playing was tasteful. On the occasions when he and Copeland were laying down a good rock groove, I liked them better. When Copeland was restraining his hyper hihat act, I liked them better.

But there are plenty of times, for me, where he plays like an egomaniac, with no concern for the song, and a burning urge to draw attention to himself. I feel that way about Peart, too. Talent (or should I say Chops), sure. Just dial it back about 35%.

That's fair comment and I understand your views here ... I just think he was playing that way because he was exceptional and personally I found his playing VERY tasteful ... it's a matter of taste for sure.

• Members

When they were big, I only liked a couple of songs from their first album, 'cause they had a certain punk edge. I thought all the later stuff was ghey and boring. But after years of playing guitar, I can certainly appreciate Summers' playing. Some Police songs I actually like enough to buy a 2nd-hand vinyl now. Very respectable work by all involved.

• Members

That's fair comment and I understand your views here ... I just think he was playing that way because he was exceptional and personally I found his playing VERY tasteful ... it's a matter of taste for sure.

I am, BTW, SLIGHTLY overstating my feelings on the Police.

If they come on the radio, I often turn them up. And I like it a fair amount for a while.

And then the noodling starts, and I'm like "nooooo, go back the other way, it was better before!!"

And then they settle down, and I like it again.

So it's really more of a love/hate thing.

And there are some "busy" grooves I like, Peter Gabriel and Paul Simon (later) have some nice ones in the world music area. Complex, smooth, percolating rhythms.

I wish Copeland turned his talent to those ideas, instead, cause he would have been great at it. But for me there are just too many times where it sounds like he's going "Hey, I can do Buddy Rich, too."

• Members
the day i spend 1 minute researching the police is the day i stab myself in the face with a spoon.

i was generalizing. to praise someone for using alot of effects in the 80s is like praising a restaurant for serving food. they all do, and almost all guitarists in the 80s used alot of effects.
:)

If you can't be bothered to look it up, why try discussing it in the first place? I wouldn't try discussing Danzig knowing nothing about them.

It wasn't just that he used effects. It's what he did with them. He was more like an aural painter than a guitarist, sometimes. Very unique guitar parts and very interesting sounds.

• Members

that's what i'm sayin... they were preferable to most of their contemporaries, but so was enuff'z'nuff

Yeah, that's NOT what I am saying though ... they to me were awesome! Killer power pop punk and reggae ... nothing like it at the time and nothing quite like it since then. I still play my Police albums to this day ... the song writing, the musicianship and the vibe are all killer.

My statements about the radio have nothing to do with nullifying any of this to me ...

• Members

Pray tell, on what track exactly does Stewart Copeland overplay?

I'm with TIKI. I can understand not being in love with the Police or finding them sorta dated, but to claim they're talentless or were not superior to 90% of their early 80's pop contemporaries is sorta bizarre to me.

Plus the fact that I know most of the people who don't like the Police are the same ones who talk all day about how much they love the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins. Bleah. I know what side of that line I'm on.

• Members

Pray tell, on what track exactly does Stewart Copeland overplay?

I'm with TIKI. I can understand not being in love with the Police or finding them sorta dated, but to claim they're talentless or were not superior to 90% of their early 80's pop contemporaries is sorta bizarre to me.

Plus the fact that I know most of the people who don't like the Police are the same ones who talk all day about how much they love the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins. Bleah. I know what side of that line I'm on.

if theres a line separating the police and the red hot chillipepper/ smashing pumpkins camps id want to be standing directly on top of the line, covering my ears and humming loudly.

Archived