So english guys - is Lady Sovereign the Brit version of Britney?

sonaboy

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just because I'm in Iowa now doesn't mean I've lived here my whole life dumbass . . . for someone talking all this moral upity upity {censored} you sure assume alot . . .

likewise.

i guess you guys assume i never figured out some things on my own living in other cities?

• Members
likewise.

i guess you guys assume i never figured out some things on my own living in other cities?

You may know alot about how cultures in the US work and I'm not debating that . . . unless you've lived outside of the US you've brought a knife to a gunfight . . . as I said before I'm done with this thread :wave:

• Members
You may know alot about how cultures in the US work and I'm not debating that . . . unless you've lived outside of the US you've brought a knife to a gunfight . . . as I said before I'm done with this thread
:wave:

i said i lived in miami.

:D

• Members
so, according to you, i'm not supposed to know anything about any foreign cultural groups outside of my own country because "it's not the same" here?

what are we actually talking about?

Of course not, but evidently by your posts you don't know much about the topic at hand - which I might add, was born out of a comical basis. You haven't lived in England, I on the other hand have done all my life and have experienced said "culture" first hand. I'm not trying to have a personal war with you either, but when I know what I'm talking about I will pipe up.

:)

• Members

this thread is probably dead already but...

... i really dig the grooves, as others have said, but her "vocals" are just like a noise layered over the top of some interesting music.

it's real hard to not see this as cashing in on the whole Chav thing, with some crossover appeal since a. the music is cool, and b. she is almost good looking.

• Members

yeah, sure.

she's not sexualized by her managers, unlike that SKANK (yeah, think about it) britney, who's been pimped as some pedo-dream since she was on Star Search.

sounds like the Brit press doesn't think she deserves much real accolades for doing her own thing since she was 14.

sorry, wrong group to ask.

DARE I SAY I DON'T HATE HER?

Am I bovvered?

:wave: :wave: :wave:

• Members

For instance in Poland, where I lived for a year, they have the same thing going on in the youth, a group of adidas wearing lads and ladies comes walking your way, you get the {censored} out of the way, unless you want a good stomping.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Hoodies = ASBOS = UH! OH!

Well, sometimes.

:wave: :wave:

• Members

I didn't read one post in this thread, but where are the pics? Surely you couldn't have been debating the musical credibility of Lady Sovereign?!?

EDIT - Woah, I did a google search, NOT the girl I was thinking of. I was thinking of an Asian DJ, I forgot her name.

• Members

this thread is probably dead already but...

... i really dig the grooves, as others have said, but her "vocals" are just like a noise layered over the top of some interesting music.

it's real hard to not see this as cashing in on the whole Chav thing, with some crossover appeal since a. the music is cool, and b. she is almost good looking.

Anyone remember this dreadful mess?

Shampoo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shampoo_(band)

• Members
I didn't read one post in this thread, but where are the pics? Surely you couldn't have been debating the musical credibility of Lady Sovereign?!?

:thu: :thu: :thu: :thu: :thu:

2h4gbyd.jpg

Be interesting to see where she goes.

I saw the Beastie Boys first tour in Europe(Brixton Academy) supporting Run DMC. I wrongly thought they were talentless and a flash in the pan!

:idea: :idea: :idea:

• Members

EDIT - Woah, I did a google search, NOT the girl I was thinking of. I was thinking of an Asian DJ, I forgot her name.

2 more for ya!

4500s2g.jpg

2cg2e5u.jpg

:wave: :wave:

• Members
Of course not, but evidently by your posts you don't know much about the topic at hand - which I might add, was born out of a comical basis. You haven't lived in England, I on the other hand have done all my life and have experienced said "culture" first hand. I'm not trying to have a personal war with you either, but when I know what I'm talking about I will pipe up.

:)

i'm still trying to figure out what this "cultural rosetta stone" that you keep referring to means.

it's not like we don't have the same sort of culture breeding here. i live right in the center of it, with a slightly more latin flavor to it all.
but if i want to get the lower-earning bracket white flavor of it all, all i have to do is drive 6 miles to the west and walk into a club.

it's not hard to spot the similarities. i'm saying, if someone that looked like that walked up to the mic and started machine gunning lyrical styles like that with interesting music behind them, i wouldn't really care what the cultural basis for it was. as i used odd looking music types in other examples, which i'm sure were made the butt of jokes just as much as chavs are, if the talent and style over-shadows, most people can get past it.
it's not like SOV is the britbait twin of Insane Clown Posse or anything.

• Members
:thu:

2h4gbyd.jpg

Be interesting to see where she goes.

I saw the Beastie Boys first tour in Europe(Brixton Academy) supporting Run DMC. I wrongly thought they were talentless and a flash in the pan!

:idea:

and strangely enough, the BBoys are the american counterparts that have actually taken her under their wing as she permeates the american market.
that's no flub.

• Members
and strangely enough, the BBoys are the american counterparts that have actually taken her under their wing as she permeates the american market.

that's no flub.

Smart boys!

I was (thankfully) dragged to that show by the Beastie Boys. One of the most obnoxious/funny shows I have ever seen.

I think she is a rare talent. Don't care for the imagery as I think she is way beyond that BUT, true talent will out in the end!

• Members

Smart boys!

I was (thankfully) dragged to that show by the Beastie Boys. One of the most obnoxious/funny shows I have ever seen.

I think she is a rare talent. Don't care for the imagery as I think she is way beyond that BUT, true talent will out in the end!

i guess.

i'm starting to wonder what the "rockers" on this forum dress like, if they start turning their noses up at a 19 year old who wears hoodies and track jackets, and immediately think she's scum.

if she can bring it, then who the {censored} cares if she wears a feather boa and wooden clogs or overalls and steel toed boots - if you can bring it, then all we're talking about is how i wouldn't hire you for an office job because you'd scare the breeder housewives who buy sexy firemen calendars.

there's some strange mother {censored}ers on this channel.

• Members

i guess.

i'm starting to wonder what the "rockers" on this forum dress like, if they start turning their noses up at a 19 year old who wears hoodies and track jackets, and immediately think she's scum.

if she can bring it, then who the {censored} cares if she wears a feather boa and wooden clogs or overalls and steel toed boots - if you can bring it, then all we're talking about is how i wouldn't hire you for an office job.

We all have our moments of madness right?

I think it is the whole culture she "supposedly" represents. They are not best liked so, 2 + 2 = 5!

You know how it goes.

I have been stopped countless times as I live in hoodies and tracksuit bottoms.....Long before this BS.

I am so unfashionable that these things catch up with me.

:wave: :wave: :wave:

• Members
i guess.

if she can bring it, then who the {censored} cares if she wears a feather boa and wooden clogs or overalls and steel toed boots - if you can bring it, then all we're talking about is how i wouldn't hire you for an office job.

you really just don't get it . . . :rolleyes: we were talking about apples while you babble on about oranges . . . I know, I broke my vow but if you are going to carry on about something that isn't I have to interject. Personally I think she sucks, but the others were framing their opinion based partlly on a cultural level, a level you have no understanding of, apparently you just don't get it, no matter how many times I say it, living in a bunch of places in america is not the same as living in another country to understand a cultural bias. Meh, carry on with your ignorence I guess . . .

Archived