So english guys - is Lady Sovereign the Brit version of Britney?

sonaboy

• Members

because she seems pretty solid on this side of the pond.

i'm diggin the jamaican dancehall thrashed across the garage/gunk funk/electro clash pummel.

what do i care, brits don't know what the {censored} they're talking about half the time.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

because she seems pretty solid on this side of the pond.

i'm diggin the jamaican dancehall thrashed across the garage/gunk funk/electro clash pummel.

what do i care, brits don't know what the {censored} they're talking about half the time.

You're confusing Brits with Chav's, a culture which she clearly qualifies for!

• Members

She seems to be pretty much a walking Adidas advertisment. For those amoung us lacking in the knowledge of what is 'chav' check this out:

and:

wow - that seems bigoted enough.

sounds like the brits actually needed to come up with a new term to make it sound like their classism and racism actually comes from a wellspring of good taste.

49% my ass...

anyway - chav doesn't really sound like it applies, since i never see her photographed with any gaudy jewelry or outrageous outfits. so, take the class war elsewhere, haters.

• Members

wow - that seems bigoted enough.

sounds like the brits actually needed to come up with a new term to make it sound like their classism and racism actually comes from a wellspring of good taste.

49% my ass...

how would the use of the word "chav" be any different from the use of the word "redneck"?

in terms of semantics, not specific descriptions...

• Members

At least Britney used to be cute. That Lady Sovereign is a skank!

yeah, sure.

she's not sexualized by her managers, unlike that SKANK (yeah, think about it) britney, who's been pimped as some pedo-dream since she was on Star Search.

sounds like the Brit press doesn't think she deserves much real accolades for doing her own thing since she was 14.

sorry, wrong group to ask.

• Members

how would the use of the word "chav" be any different from the use of the word "redneck"?

in terms of semantics, not specific descriptions...

because it doesn't sound like a word that the targeted social circle uses as a term of pride.

and aside from the fact that she doesn't physically seem to fit the actually parameters of the term. I've seen about 20 pics of her, and she doesn't appear with jewelry or any of the trappings that the term "chav" seems to indicate.

• Members

as i said, i couldn't care less whether or not she fits the accepted mould, it's the accusation of inherent racism or class divide i disagree with.

the word nigger is used by some blacks as a "term of pride", does that mean it can no longer be considered racist or class-based?

• Members

Indeed, but if you'd ever come across a group of them....gobby, rude, obnoxious little {censored}s.

Fix'd

:thu:

still don't see it, big guy.

all i see is a young girl in a hoodie or a track suit.

the fact that she's "obnoxious" to your senses really only means that she can push your buttons from the outside.

i don't have to be a member of a certain cultural mindset to recognize musical prowess and skill just because i don't belong to it.

i doubt i'd get along much with phil spector or buddy guy in a social context, but i can see what they're getting at, artistic wise.

• Members

as i said, i couldn't care less whether or not she fits the accepted mould, it's the accusation of inherent racism or class divide i disagree with.

the word nigger is used by some blacks as a "term of pride", does that mean it can no longer be considered racist or class-based?

i don't know man.

does that mean Jeff Foxworthy is a self-hating redneck because he bases his whole act on the term?

you're totally ignoring the context to overstep into this unfounded white guy angst that sounds ridiculous.

Archived