So english guys - is Lady Sovereign the Brit version of Britney?

sonaboy

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
you really just don't get it . . .
:rolleyes:
we were talking about apples while you babble on about oranges . . . I know, I broke my vow but if you are going to carry on about something that isn't I have to interject. Personally I think she sucks, but the others were framing their opinion based partlly on a cultural level, a level you have no understanding of, apparently you just don't get it, no matter how many times I say it, living in a bunch of places in america is not the same as living in another country to understand a cultural bias. Meh, carry on with your ignorence I guess . . .

from what i understand, you never lived in England either.
so using your awesome line of reasoning, England's cultural signifiers are much different than America's, so i don't know what i'm talking about, but England's and Poland's signifiers are also different, so you know what you're talking about.
Even though i've visited other countries, lived in other cities with very different cultural schemes then, say, Iowa. I somehow don't recognize these same cultural patterns, groups and habits because i can get past it when it comes to musical expression?

• Members

I also live in a town called sussex but in WI the moshers get respect from the chavs. I know some the apperal is different but basically white people who act black and live in a trailor park is about the same.

there's trailer parks in england?

i guess the chavs are more uppity than the goons in trailer parks here in the midwest because the hand of god doesn't sweep them off of the ground with 400 mph winds every spring.

lady sov will get hers when she tries to come through tornado alley soon enough.

• Members
from what i understand, you never lived in England either.

so using your awesome line of reasoning, England's cultural signifiers are much different than America's, so i don't know what i'm talking about, but England's and Poland's signifiers are also different, so you know what you're talking about.

Even though i've visited other countries, lived in other cities with very different cultural schemes then, say, Iowa. I somehow don't recognize these same cultural patterns, groups and habits because i can get past it when it comes to musical expression?

apparently . . . but you are to caught up in the fact that other people cannot . . . you don't understand and any amount of explaining I attempt obviously isn't going to enlighten you in the least, so once again I bid you goodnight, persist in your moral soapboxing as you will. :wave:

• Members
there's trailer parks in england?

i guess the chavs are more uppity than the goons in trailer parks here in the midwest because the hand of god doesn't sweep them off of the ground with 400 mph winds every spring.

lady sov will get hers when she tries to come through tornado alley soon enough.

:D :D :wave::D :D

• Members

So you're saying if I cal a black person a chav they'll...

they'll...

they'll know what the {censored} I'm talking about? :confused::D

Just because I'm in Iowa now doesn't mean I've lived here my whole life dumbass . . . for someone talking all this moral upity upity {censored} you sure assume alot . . .

I don't know, man. Who the {censored} voluntarily goes to Iowa? I've never been to England, but I'm assuming there was some kind of gun involved, or did they just kick you out of a plane? :D

• Members
So you're saying if I cal a black person a chav they'll...

they'll...

they'll know what the {censored} I'm talking about?
:confused::D

I don't know, man. Who the {censored} voluntarily goes to Iowa? I've never been to England, but I'm assuming there was some kind of gun involved, or did they just kick you out of a plane?
:D

:D :D :D :D :D

• Members

i'm still trying to figure out what this "cultural rosetta stone" that you keep referring to means.

it's not like we don't have the same sort of culture breeding here. i live right in the center of it, with a slightly more latin flavor to it all.

but if i want to get the lower-earning bracket white flavor of it all, all i have to do is drive 6 miles to the west and walk into a club.

it's not hard to spot the similarities. i'm saying, if someone that looked like that walked up to the mic and started machine gunning lyrical styles like that with interesting music behind them, i wouldn't really care what the cultural basis for it was. as i used odd looking music types in other examples, which i'm sure were made the butt of jokes just as much as chavs are, if the talent and style over-shadows, most people can get past it.

it's not like SOV is the britbait twin of Insane Clown Posse or anything.

(sigh) Fact is you've never seem them, or been in the company of them so really you are drawing comparisons with something that you know and something that you think is the same. Its not so much the clothes, that is a stereotype for sure...one that is born out of the general dress "code" that this "culture" seem to prefer, its the attitude that maketh the chav.

• Members
(sigh) Fact is you've never seem them, or been in the company of them so really you are drawing comparisons with something that you know and something that you think is the same. Its not so much the clothes, that is a stereotype for sure...one that is born out of the general dress "code" that this "culture" seem to prefer, its the
attitude
that maketh the chav.

Spivs/chavs/twats....

All the same to me.

:thu:

• Members

Hey, she seem's like a chav to me, but my perception of what a chav is comes straight from Ali G. :p

anyways, Up until my last 15 minutes on google I have only heard one song of hers a long ass time ago.

My thoughts... I'm happy to see a young girl not slutting it up to sell albums. The music is really good, and her lyrics aren't terrible, in fact some of them are pretty damn good. She is at least a zillion times better than fergie... who if i hear again, i may have to plug my ears with kitchen knives.

but there is something that just doesnt seem right with it... at least in her videos... sometimes her attitude/facial expressions just don't fit... or at least don't conform to what we would be expecting i suppose. in some ways the songs sound like a well produced version of a brittish childrens show's interpretation of hip hop.

I think she may have some growing up to do... but certainly aint much worse than 99% of the hiphop/rap being made in the US.

She seems to have (or maybe her producers) some good "pop sensibilities"
I have no problem with having a pop sensibility, so long as it actually works, and doesnt destroy you in the process.

Also, everyone remember that back in the 50's and early 60's everyone thought brittish rock and roll was inferior, and the brits just didnt get it. Then came the beatles, and we have been playing catch up here, pretty much ever since.

edit- just realized i am wearing track pants and a hoodie right now... i better go change.

• Members
Hey, she seem's like a chav to me, but my perception of what a chav is comes straight from Ali G.
:p

anyways, Up until my last 15 minutes on google I have only heard one song of hers a long ass time ago.

My thoughts... I'm happy to see a young girl not slutting it up to sell albums. The music is really good, and her lyrics aren't terrible, in fact some of them are pretty damn good. She is at least a zillion times better than fergie... who if i hear again, i may have to plug my ears with kitchen knives.

but there is something that just doesnt seem right with it... at least in her videos... sometimes her attitude/facial expressions just don't fit... or at least don't conform to what we would be expecting i suppose. in some ways the songs sound like a well produced version of a brittish childrens show's interpretation of hip hop.

I think she may have some growing up to do... but certainly aint much worse than 99% of the hiphop/rap being made in the US.

She seems to have (or maybe her producers) some good "pop sensibilities"

I have no problem with having a pop sensibility, so long as it actually works, and doesnt destroy you in the process.

Also, everyone remember that back in the 50's and early 60's everyone thought brittish rock and roll was inferior, and the brits just didnt get it. Then came the beatles, and we have been playing catch up here, pretty much ever since.

edit- just realized i am wearing track pants and a hoodie right now... i better go change.

Track pants and hoodie here too!

Wanna be in my gang, my gang, my gang?

:D :D :D :D :D

I have a request into Brad for the first filter you are doing....bass version wise.

Can I? Can I? Can I?

:wave: :wave:

• Members
Track pants and hoodie here too!

Wanna be in my gang, my gang, my gang?

I have a request into Brad for the first filter you are doing....bass version wise.

Can I? Can I? Can I?

:wave:
:wave:

ill be in your gang homie... we'll need a theme song... some sick beats... filter on bass and guitar, and some rhymes.

I don't know who's getting the first bass filter, or when it will be done exactly. I've got a new guy starting tomorrow, and I think the filters would be a good place for him to start... i got all the parts layed out for him... let's hope he's got some mad soldering skillz!!!

• Members

Y'all wearing lots of cheap gold, unshaven around the under chin area, cap worn slightly up....usually white, earrings, maybe some chain hangin off you somewhere?

Yeah, you know who you are, you over there removing those wheels off that car.....

• Members
Y'all wearing lots of cheap gold, unshaven around the under chin area, cap worn slightly up....usually white, earrings, maybe some chain hangin off you somewhere?

Yeah, you know who you are, you over there removing those wheels off that car.....

no gold here at all... do got some chin hair though...

now why in the the {censored} did i steal the stock wheels off a 93 honda civic?:freak:

• Members
ill be in your gang homie... we'll need a theme song... some sick beats... filter on bass and guitar, and some rhymes.

I don't know who's getting the first bass filter, or when it will be done exactly. I've got a new guy starting tomorrow, and I think the filters would be a good place for him to start... i got all the parts layed out for him... let's hope he's got some mad soldering skillz!!!

Cool!

Mad beats and bass I got. Get Miss Sov on it and we are set!

Is there anyway I can get 001?

I will gladly pay Brad up front or you?

Please let me know. It's not essential BUT would be fun. I would also like to make a cool painted swankbox enclosure for it. Be happy to send it to you if this isn't too much hassle....PROBABLY IS RIGHT?

Any idea what they are going to look like? I may not need to bother painting it. Your stuff usually looks SHARP!

Let me know gang member.....

Good luck with your new guy.

:D :D :wave::D :D

Archived