Is anybody here a vegetarian?

Elliott Damage

• Members

Dont be scared - I've been totally vege for four years now and it's the way to go - just remember - it takes something like 20 times the land area, water and resources to feed a meat eater vs a vegetarian.

The fish stocks are dissapearing fast, Chickens (and all the growth hormones and antibiotics they're filled with) are dangerous to our collective biological defenses and future, running livestock is TERRIBLE for the environment, and killing animals and keeping them in confined environments all their life is generally cruel. Plus new research has found strong links between a red meat diet and bowel cancer.... (!!!)

I've never once regretted being vege - I found it easy giving up meat and plus I feel great, i have great skin, run all the time (so no shortage of energy), don't have a weight gain problem. If your cooking skills run just a little further than heating some rice and stir frying some veges then you have no shortage of great things to prepare and eat. I eat a little milk and a little cheese and yoghurt but otherwise it's all veges mang.

:thu:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From the small conversation we just had it is entirely possible to have a balanced meatless diet if you do a little research on how to balance iron levels in your diet and some other things, but not a vegan diet, a true vegan diet lacks many basic human needs that cannot be compensated for in pill supplements.

• Members

Ok I asked her and she over loaded me with info, but I will try and relate what she told me. Supplements for the most part are a BAD idea, mostly because they are unregulated, to get FDA approval for supplements you only have to prove that the pill will not kill a person who takes it. Companies can then put whatever claims they want on the supplement with impunity.

Supplements don't work very well or at all because they are not completely understood, for instance I mean that even food scientists still don't understand what all compounds are in an apple that makes it good for us to eat, sure we can isolate some of the individual minerals but it is most likely, from what she's been reading, the perfect balance of an apple that makes it healthy, supplements are in no way balanced. Many are not even uniform in the levels they claim on the bottle.

She spent about 6 hours researching iron for a friend of hers that is iron deficient, she found that prolonged use of iron supplements can oxidize in the blood stream and digestive tract and cause internal damage.

EXCELLENT!

I hate taking the frikkin things.

Add that to my list of {censored} I am not doing anymore!

Many thanks.

Scary thing re. the iron supplements.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

• Members
i'm usally on the amp forum. noticed this topic
:)

i've been veggy for about 14 years. but my diet is BAD!

pizza, pasta, chips, veggy burgers, veggy hotdogs.

i'm skinny as hell though

Com on, that aint bad in Blighty!

Veggy hot dogs rock!

:thu: :thu:

• Members

and i can eat veggie burgers!

are they good?

Boca Burgers are good. Morning Star stuff is good. I t will take time to adjust though. It is different!

I like it though. Couldn't eat a real one now.

HOWEVER....Tough to walk past hotdog stands, especially at footy games and concerts.

Bacon wrapped hotdogs....

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Members
Boca Burgers are good. Morning Star stuff is good. I t will take time to adjust though. It is different!

I like it though. Couldn't eat a real one now.

HOWEVER....Tough to walk past hotdog stands, especially at footy games and concerts.

Bacon wrapped hotdogs....

:cry:

i gotta know...is there any kind of vegetarian bacon???

please say yes.

• Members
BSTE-COMBO_small.jpg

Those look like shoe leather :freak:

Anyways, I'm a vagitarian.... does that count :D

Seriously, my 1st wife forced me to be vegetarian during that hell of a marriage. Being a vegetarian during that time was sure a hell of a lot easier than trying to get along with her. After that hellish period of my life I had a big fat ass porterhouse steak and haven't looked back. I don't think I have the willpower to go back to a vegetarian lifestyle... brings back too many bad memories

• Members

i don't wear leather either.

my shoes are non-leather vans:

Vans30804.jpg

Vans49782.jpg

the only leather i own is the stuff inside my car

:thu: :thu: :thu:

I no longer buy Adidas footy boots etc.

I still own 3 leather jackets BUT wont buy another.

Just realised you are in David Brent land!

:thu:

Archived