History of effects pedals

Northstar

• Members

Some will say this one...

...it's not really a pedal (besides being entirely mechanical).

g3rmanium - I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to the DeArmond Tremolo as being "entirely mechanical". How is its operation mechanical rather than electronic?

Thank you.

• Members

g3rmanium - I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to the DeArmond Tremolo as being "entirely mechanical". How is its operation mechanical rather than electronic?

The only electronic thing in it is a motor. The tremolo is generated by shaking a cylinder. In that cylinder, there's a liquid that bleeds some of the signal to ground. No transistors.

• Members

The only electronic thing in it is a motor. The tremolo is generated by shaking a cylinder. In that cylinder, there's a liquid that bleeds some of the signal to ground. No transistors.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if it's similar to the Tel-Ray "oil-can" echo units, or if Ray LuBow was involved in its invention.

• Members

Some will say this one

117612088_4b282bbb8f.jpg

But as you can see it's not really a pedal (besides being entirely mechanical).

More rightfully, the first one was the Maestro Fuzz Tone FZ-1:

101726760_eaf924dd9f.jpg

There is a later foot controlled version of that DeArmond tremolo from the '50s, and also a volume pedal as well.

I guess we need to define what an 'effect pedal' is - does it have to have transistors to qualify..?

:confused::wave:

Archived