Overdrive pedal for solid state?

sisnootles

• Members

Are overdrive pedals only worth using in front of a valve amp? I really want a classic overdrive sound with my solidstate frontman amp. I can't seem to get a nice creamy blues tone. Would I get it using an overdrive pedal? Unfortunately I can't afford a new amp!

Cheers

Si

• Members

GO for the above, but personally, I reckon fuzz is a far better dirt option or solid state.

Yup. I never understood overdrive until I got my hands on a decent tube amp.

Honestly, you'd probably be better off selling the front man, and putting whatever money you were going to put towards an overdrive down on one of those $200 Fender Champ RI's they had at NAMM.

• Members

Yea I'd get one with asymmetrical clipping mod done to it, will give more a tubey sound. Not a good mod to do on ts's your going to run into tube amps, but great if your going ss.

What's wrong with asymetrical clipping with tube amps? My DOD250 has it, and it sounds pretty rockin'

• Members

What's wrong with asymetrical clipping with tube amps? My DOD250 has it, and it sounds pretty rockin'

nothings wrong with asymmetrical clipping into tube amps, I just don't prefer it on tubescreamers, to me it sounds as if the clipping is "out of sync" with the amps clipping when you crank it. I've messed around with many different mods on ts pedals, this one to me just sounded better on ss then tube.

• Members
tubescreamer or badmonkey should get you started. bluesdriver is pretty creamy too.

or you can buy an overdrive pedal with tube(s) built in.

:confused:
I'd dissagree. Tubescreamer based pedals sound terrible with most SS amps. bluesdriver would be a bit better IMHO.

if the guy's going to buy a pedal with tubes in it, he'd be better of to start saving for a better amp.

Archived