OLD REM appreciation thread.

papa taco

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You can have your alt country. I'm sticking with my old REM. God I forgot how good Fables of the Reconstruction is. Peter Buck is my guitar hero.

taco

REM was my gateway drug to Alt/Country - loved everything up to and including 'Document', then they took a giant swirling decent into the crapper of mediocrity for me.

Peter Buck writes some nice guitar parts absolutely, his soloing gags me though.

I'll take Son Volt over REM anytime - the songs are better, the musicianship is better too...

:wave:

• Members

"mumbling" yep. I liked Michael Stipes singing a lot better when it was lower and hard to understand. Now he grates and irritates. I miss the mumbling.

++ 582093

First thing I heard by them was The One I Love, a few months before it broke big everywhere. So Document was my introduction and it's got a nice place in my heart. But it hasn't been until recently that I've realized really how much of a change it was from where they were coming from (I didn't get to ride that wave). Once I became a fan I quickly got the back catalog, and I think Pagent became my fav. But from time to time I go back and listen to Reckoning, Fables and Chronic Town and I'm like woah.. wait I like this just as much!

I got lucky enough to finally catch them live in Atlanta back in 04. Was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I wasn't expecting them to be that good because every bootleg or other live performance that I'd heard from them just sounded kinda weak. But man they were sooo good. Played a TON of old/early stuff.... all of Chronic Town I believe... lots of stuff from Murmur and Reckoning.

Anyways... back to when I first caught on to them. That sound of Document that was "Rock" to me.. well "Alternative Rock", that guitar driven sound was just the epitome of it. You had them, Guadalcanal Diary, Smithereens... man... good stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I thought I'd bump the thread with all of the old rem footage I've been posting on youtube...check through my videos for a complete pro shot show from 84 and more

SWEET! You rock!

A couple days after this thread started I made myself 2 compilations based onthe early stuff... all of Chronic Town, most of Murmur, Reckoning and a good deal of the early early stuff that's on Dead Letter Office. I've been blaring it in the car like I did in high school.

Can anyone confirm at what point he started using the AC30s?

• Members

Not mine. I'm really digging Maps & Legends as well as Driver 8 right now.

Any song off of Fables will do for me right now.

But my turntable's shot and I only have it on vinyl,

so you're just killing me.

:mad:

My old band used to do a great cover of Feeling Gravity's Pull, & it used to get a really good response. At least half of the listeners didn't even know who it was, but still dug it.

• Members

Ages of You is on Dead Letter Office, but according to the liner notes its from the Reckoning sessions and is a companion piece to Burning Down also from Reckoning sessions. Both of which are some of my favorite songs.

@ButterKnucket he was using AC30s before Out of Time. In TourFilm (Green tour footage) he's using them.

Tonally it sounds like they might have come in around Fables since that sound is darker than earlier stuff (and YouTube can show us that he was using Twins live promoting that earlier stuff). I think I read somewhere that was the time they came along since they were in England recording... but I can't remember. :confused:

Obviously Pagent has some more overdriven tones on it as well. So my guess is that it came along for one of those two albums. And I remember reading that Document has a tone of different stuff on it (boogies, marshalls and more).

BTW... just checked out this abit more closely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbPYZugpi5M

He's got a Twin and Boogie going here, with some rack on top of the Twin.. probably his Ibanez UE .. which is where the chorus is coming from I guess. And based on the fact that Hyena is abit rough, I'm thinking this might be before they actually recorded Pagent... so maybe the AC30 came somewhere after Fables Tour... but before Green Tour.

• Members

Me and my wee brother got tickets to see REM in a 1000 seater venue in Dublin at the start of July. I cant bloody wait. They have it billed as a live rehearsal for the new album, so they might not play that much old stuff though.

Archived