OLD REM appreciation thread.

papa taco

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh hells yeah. I like all REM, actually, except for their latest POS. But their early twangy mumbling pop gems are essential listening.

"mumbling" yep. I liked Michael Stipes singing a lot better when it was lower and hard to understand. Now he grates and irritates. I miss the mumbling.

• Members

My bandmate and I took a trip to athens cuz were rem nerds. I drove 20 hours straight from minneapolis to atlanta before we stopped for some sleep.

total shameless fanboys, us. we went to the steeple where the church used to be, saw the murmur trestle (my fave rem lp), even saw the parking lot where Tyrone's used to be (and my favorite bootleg ever was recorded there). Ate at Weaver D's. We even went to Philomath on my insistance.

we stayed in athens for about 9 hours then drove straight home. I'll never do a trip like that again.

• Members

My bandmate and I took a trip to athens cuz were rem nerds. I drove 20 hours straight from minneapolis to atlanta before we stopped for some sleep.

total shameless fanboys, us. we went to the steeple where the church used to be, saw the murmur trestle (my fave rem lp), even saw the parking lot where Tyrone's used to be (and my favorite bootleg ever was recorded there). Ate at Weaver D's. We even went to Philomath on my insistance.

we stayed in athens for about 9 hours then drove straight home. I'll never do a trip like that again.

Did you see Reverend Finster (do I have the name right?)

Did you go to that good southern bbq as featured in Athens Georgia Inside Out? Did you see the bands DuoJets or BBQ Killers? Let's Active?

Yeah, I was a fanboy too.

• Members

If Berry would get back with them and give them their rock drive back, I'd go see them for sure. The only post-IRS era REM I keep in my CD case is Monster...its probably my favorite early 90's rock album (I'm not a big early 90s guy, btw, so don't tell me to listen to Pixies or Pavement or anything and change my mind). If they would have continued in that direction, they might still be a relevant band. That said, the REM trio has put together some nice light pop tunes like "Imitation of Life" and "Daysleeper," just not something I'd go see live.

Archived