Anybody use an amp shield on stage?

• Members

people are there for the religion that they believe in, not the music...

How did you come to this conclusion? Seems like pretty interesting view of what it's all about. Music is a very important part of every fairly mainstream church I've been involved in. You wouldn't believe all the debates that go on about music style and lyrics...some of it is pretty honorable and worthy discussion, while some debates are pretty petty and quite frankly not very good...but it's mostly because real people are involved.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
church is to religion as club is to music

seems like a pretty obvious analogy
:confused:

Not to me...sorry. Clubs are a recent phenomena as far as history...Music was originally created in a religious framework long before spinning disco balls and smoke shows, or even tavern wenches for that matter.:D

• Members
Just point the amp at your drummer.

Good idea. :idea:

Hangwire.. that topic could be a very long and frustrating conversation - one that I really don't want to get into, especially in this thread. All I'll say is that we're not putting on a show, we're worshiping. The statement, "people are there for the religion that they believe in, not the music" really doesn't make sense in this context.

• Members
Not to me...sorry. Clubs are a recent phenomena as far as history...Music was originally created in a religious framework long before spinning disco balls and smoke shows, or even tavern wenches for that matter.
:D

I am pretty sure music exsisted before religion... :idea: but all i was saying is that forum he is playing in is not judgemental, so that he should be fine as is.

• Members

all i was saying is that forum he is playing in is not judgemental, so that he should be fine as is.

Sure it might not be judgemental, but distractions sure are noticed...

Hangwire, have you ever played music in a church context? Most large music equipment manufacturers have dedicated business units that focus solely on the resources for worship. Many of our local sound contractors derive large portions of their livelihoods from providing products, service and support to church groups. The church I play at use the same FOH mains that Aerosmith used on tour. The system we use would decimate most of the "clubs" within 200 miles.

The reason I say this is not to come across as being arrogant, but to essentially say that considerations for sound, and the technical aspect of the environment in churches are huge these days.

So...there's really nothing wrong with a guitarist who is judging their own placement in the mix, looking to resolve technical issues that might detract from the goal of striving for perfect sound. It's really essentially the same for all good musicians in any context. It's the same for me at a hired corporate gig versus playing on Sunday.

Hope this helps you understand.

• Members
The reason I say this is not to come across as being arrogant,

:rolleyes:

but to essentially say that considerations for sound, and the technical aspect of the environment in churches are huge these days.

Well that seems to be just plain sad to me. I feel things like you mentioned are what is wrong with church and most organized religions now-a-days. god doesn't care that you have an awesome PA, and frankly the people that say it makes the "worship" better sound like some similiar characters in the bible :idea: But, whatever... I can see what your point is, but if you can't see mine, then this back and forth does nothing. I hope the beam blockers make you more happy with your amp sound confortablynumb.

• Members

Well hangwire...thanks for your views. Since we really have no clue about one another personally, I agree it's really a fruitless discussion over the internut. I'd rather talk about gear anyway. I have no doubt you're a cool guy. Cheers:)

I'll add that I tried a couple of Edwards coffee can lids (cut down to 4")with some double sided tape on my V30 and G12H30 last night. It works to block the piercing highs. I'd give that a shot to see if it works before ordering the $40 solution.

• Members
:thu:

I lied...they weren't Edwards lids. They were Tim Hortons. I'm in Canada.:p If any of you guys want to discuss the discernable sound nuances between the brands, I'd be happy to do an A/B.

I'd be willing to ship some Tim lids to anyone who is interested as well.:freak:

• Members
I lied...they weren't Edwards lids. They were Tim Hortons. I'm in Canada.
:p
If any of you guys want to discuss the discernable sound nuances between the brands, I'd be happy to do an A/B.

I'd be willing to ship some Tim lids to anyone who is interested as well.
:freak:

what are tim lids? :confused:

• Members
I lied...they weren't Edwards lids. They were Tim Hortons. I'm in Canada.
:p
If any of you guys want to discuss the discernable sound nuances between the brands, I'd be happy to do an A/B.

I'd be willing to ship some Tim lids to anyone who is interested as well.
:freak:

I'd like to be the guy who had a guy ship coffee can lids to him all the way from Canada to Mississippi for "musical purposes".

I'll find some Folgers. :D Thanks for the tip!

Archived