Anybody use an amp shield on stage?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I turn mine sideways and tilt it up on a stand. That keeps the direct sound from blasting those in the front. You could also use an extension cabinet with closed back speaker so there is no sound out the back.

Does your band use acoustic or electric drums? If it's the electric drum variety then my advice is to get a POD...you will never win with the "no stage volume except the piano" camp. If it's acoustic drums then you should be able to produce a great sound that keeps pace with the drummer and yet focus it in a way that it doesn't bleed everywhere they don't want it.

• Members

I turn mine sideways and tilt it up on a stand. That keeps the direct sound from blasting those in the front. You could also use an extension cabinet with closed back speaker so there is no sound out the back.

Does your band use acoustic or electric drums? If it's the electric drum variety then my advice is to get a POD...you will never win with the "no stage volume except the piano" camp. If it's acoustic drums then you should be able to produce a great sound that keeps pace with the drummer and yet focus it in a way that it doesn't bleed everywhere they don't want it.

We use electronic drums, but we're not picky on stage volume at all. We play pretty loud. The ONLY reason we have electronic drums is because our drummers are very hard hitting and the building has no acoustics whatsoever.

• Members

We use electronic drums, but we're not picky on stage volume at all. We play pretty loud. The ONLY reason we have electronic drums is because our drummers are very hard hitting and the building has no acoustics whatsoever.

OK, I reread your first post...are you the only one concerned with FOH directional volume from your amp at this point? Nobody has come up to you and said turn down? I still think the turn and tilt will accomplish as much as an amp shield in terms of not blasting the front rows. If it was a stage volume issue, then I'd say turn down, attenuate, use an OD pedal, or modeler.

• Members

if you use electronic drums then you don't have to have such a high stage volume in the first place...just have everyone turn down a notch or two...and let the sound man do his job

• Members

All you people saying turn down don't understand the problem. At high volumes, when the sound is great from most points you listen from, some amps generate a nasty cylinder of high-treble sound that comes staight out of the speaker. This is what hurts people - not the volume itself.

Just tape over the centres of the speakers on the grill of your amp. When I finally figured this out it improved my sound hugely. You can buy plastic shields but that isn't very cool is it?

• Members

All you people saying turn down don't understand the problem. At high volumes, when the sound is great from most points you listen from, some amps generate a nasty cylinder of high-treble sound that comes staight out of the speaker. This is what hurts people - not the volume itself.

yeah but if they have electronic drums there really isn't a reason for the high volume, is there...They could hear better through the monitors if the sound man knows what he is doing.

• Members

Just tape over the centres of the speakers on the grill of your amp. When I finally figured this out it improved my sound hugely. You can buy plastic shields but that isn't very cool is it?

I think most people know about the directionality of a guitar speaker, that's why turning it away (even slightly) from the audience is one of the best solutions. Sure...beam blockers and stuff are the new rage, but man...people have been gigging for 60 years without them too. There are very simple solutions.

• Members

One thing that we've recently started doing at my church, is putting the amps in a cupboard off stage - our sound guys are really really picky about stage volume though. It does mean that we get to crank our amps to where they sound great, although we are at the mercy of the monitor guy.

Beam blockers would be a good idea though, or a piece of tape would do just as well, although thinking about it, I'd try angling the amps towards me as well - if you have to run 2, put them side by side.

• Members

OK, I reread your first post...are you the only one concerned with FOH directional volume from your amp at this point? Nobody has come up to you and said turn down? I still think the turn and tilt will accomplish as much as an amp shield in terms of not blasting the front rows. If it was a stage volume issue, then I'd say turn down, attenuate, use an OD pedal, or modeler.

Nobody has said anything about it. I just noticed it when I walked out an listened. It's not a volume issue. Like I said before, I'm about as quiet as I can be up there. The problem probably goes away when the full band is playing. That just occurred to me because I've walked out tons of times while we practiced and have never noticed the problem.

• Members

One thing that we've recently started doing at my church, is putting the amps in a cupboard off stage - our sound guys are really really picky about stage volume though. It does mean that we get to crank our amps to where they sound great, although we are at the mercy of the monitor guy.

Beam blockers would be a good idea though, or a piece of tape would do just as well, although thinking about it, I'd try angling the amps towards me as well - if you have to run 2, put them side by side.

I could never do that. 1. I have to have control of me, and 2. We don't have a good "sound guy". We have a couple guys that know how to adjust volume levels.

As far as angling the amps, I'd have to get some beam blockers or tape anyway because I don't want that nasty sound coming my way, either. :D

• Members
:cry:
me too.....I sold my JTM45 Now I want it back.....

i love my jtm45

as for blocking the direct sound, and to spread it more evenly i tape tissue in the middle of each cone (its only a 2x12)

weber make some proper beam blockers but they seemed rather pricey for something to do a basic thing.

SRV did indeed do this too

Archived