OT: After a long time...

• Members

What's up guys! I haven't posted on here in a long time, many reasons, but I wanted to drop in one last (whatever that is) time to see what's up, what's new, what's the buzz...

Admittedly I miss all the Hammond threads, & the feeling that maybe some new kid will save a ton of money on his first keyboard purchase, & the feeling that maybe one night on a friday someone will correct a tech problem quickly & save their gig. This place is a quarry of golden wisdom...if you dig.

It was probably 2000A.D. when I started posting here, or at least reading from the shadow'd corners, & I can't stress how valuable this place has been to me & the amount of satisfaction that came from trading all sorts of information w/you guys. The PEOPLE posting on Harmony Central are the backbone & you guys have saved me money, saved me time, saved me pride, etc... I remember back in highschool (not that far back) we had a show at a DIIIIIIVVVEEEEEeee bar & I guess at the time it didn't amount to much, but it was the tips & shortcuts I learned here, that saved us from a huge embarassment surrounding a DI box. Amongst other things.

"Those guys pulled it together well! Let's here it for em..."

People were lined up on the street outside!

Also the importance of many other things. Humility. Realism. Communication (music is this). It was on HC that I learned how musicians talk, their language, their lingo, & the slang that saves you hours of explanation. I have a feeling I wouldn't have gotten to talk to a lot of the people I did, or carry on conversations, if I didn't have the savvy after years of soaking this place up & learning how musicians speak to each other & where shortcuts can be made. You guys have saved me innumerable hours & I sincerely hope that maybe my words did the same in my years here. Damn I spent A LOT of hours clicking 'refresh'!

I didn't want to get into any long rant or go sentimental - I was online checking websites & my fingers went 'muscle memory', leading me to a place I haven't come in a while. I figured what the hell. I wanna say to all you guys, keep it the {censored} up, & don't drop the ball. You are the mass weight of my musical knowledge & direction for a long, long period of my life.

Yoozer, Outkaster, mate_stubb, canoe_head, & the more obvious fellows who I need not need name from the dUdE thread & other places, THANK YOU, & I hope you guys are still posting on here. I hope you keep it up & steer the young guys into a realistic view of the music industry, keep em on track! FLAY EM INTO SHAPE!

For me, it's off to Los Angeles, California. A few people out there think my Work is worth their money, & so come May I will be flown free of charge to Reseda, CA where I will enjoy free room/board until they decide what they want to do with me. Hopefully, I'll be able to push the ideas that used to exist in the mainstream BACK into the mainstream. Avant-Garde, postmodernism, subterranean homesick blues. There's some sort of energy gathering over all of our heads this year, at least among the people I talk to, & I think there's a chance we'll see some interesting things happen...but for me, I'm charging into the heart of this Iron American musical beast. I hope I picked up enough here & from my own live musical experience out in the trenches to survive whatever is coming my way. But I wouldn't be going anywhere if not for HC (or maybe I would, but several years later haha). So to all the posters on here, keep w/it. You have a shot, but only if you are in the rhythm of the world around you, & most importantly in the rhythm of yourself. Get your own head down & sorted, then take it to the streets...do that and there isn't a soul that can stop you.

And maybe, just maybe, if you're lucky enough someone sponsors your art.

Do it for real, forge the paths, & split the dawn. Every day starts as "the future" and you are just as much a part of it as anyone else. Money is no object, & while to a degree it IS about who you know, if you just do the musician thing & stick with it long enough, the musicians' lifestyle will lead you to the right people as it has for me.

Flame the {censored} out of me. Sure. But I hope a few of the older guys will have a memory jog (w/o having a heart attack, knock on wood) & will take the time to say 'hey' before things get too fast to sort. You guys built a foundation which I hope not to waste. But it's 4:30am here - there are cell phones to be charged & lyrics to be written & ultimately a cig to be ashed, so I gotta go...but..wish me luck & sanity. This place is more than a website, more than an address in a browser...so keep that going & don't ever let it stop. I miss you all very sincerely. More than I miss most things :)

Music is your special friend,

dance on fire as It intends.

MUSIC IS YOUR ONLY FRIEND

Breathe underwater, til the end.

-Jonathan Pratt, Fear My Potato, Fill In the Blank

• Members

Before you duck out ... could you -- or one of your associates -- explain the meaning of your screen name?

And is that a gun in your hand? Or am I just imagining that?

Wasn't into synths :cry: -- film obviously -- when I lived there.

Good luck in L.A.

A shopping cart pusher or maybe someone groovy

One thing's for sure, he isn't starring in the movies.

• Members

Sorry guys, I know etiquette & all, but I honestly couldn't figure out how to delete a thread
:confused:

Deletion was thrown out of the window thanks to ADSR. I've fixed your duplicate post :).

Good to see you here again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Before you duck out ... could you -- or one of your associates -- explain the meaning of your screen name?

And is that a gun in your hand? Or am I just imagining that?

Wasn't into synths
:cry:
-- film obviously -- when I lived there.

Good luck in L.A.

A shopping cart pusher or maybe someone groovy

One thing's for sure, he isn't starring in the movies.

The meaning of my screen name? It's never meant anything & that is sheer beauty. I've been through a lot but it stays "Fear My Potato" on here & AIM. Girls think it's cute, it's easy to remember, & people always ask about it. A few years back on here, I changed it to "Jonathan Pratt", fearing people were ignoring my serious posts b/c of a BS name...but it came back by popular demand, & we all feared the potato one more time.

All the Apollo astronauts that landed on the moon carried American-made firearms...not for self-defense, but b/c we come in peace for all mankind...but I carry no gun. Now in the motorcycle avatar, that may be another story...

Where'd you live in Los Angeles? I'm into film too actually. It wasn't my thing but I got approached about it...I'm still hesitant about something like film, how much you can actually better the world with film as opposed to music, but who knows. If people think I can act I guess it's worth a shot too :confused:

• Members
Welcome back FearMyPotato !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long time, no see.
:)
Actually it is pretty calm these days, ADSR is gone, and some others (some good, some not so). We also have a new "toy" called Swardle. Oh well... you will meet him sooner or later. BTW, got some new gear? Got a new bike?

(and don't go away now!)

I'm not back...just saying hey. I have my ideological differences with the new management, the suits, who don't have respect for the HC members who spent years on here making this place what it is - & therefore getting them their cushy corporate jobs where they can tell us what is or is not appropriate. Actually, at first I liked them. We talked, had some wine over dinner. Then they started being authoritative in KSS when we didn't need it, just to make a point. Their motto was "well, we own this website so our word goes". Sure ya do, officer. And since time is money, I'll take mine elsewhere.

Plus time is just worth more these days. As for me, I'm too busy lovin' life to come in here & stuff the suits' wallets (even if I do love all of you, GREAT company). Just finished a book though, so I've got a minute ;) But the main reason I left was b/c this place def isn't what it was just a year or two ago...I left b/c I was talking about all of this with an administrator via private messages & he stopped responding. You'd think after 1000+ posts of good advice & solid music information they'd consider me a resource, maybe wonder what I have to say or AT LEAST listen, but as it turned out I was expendable. As are all of you, so be careful how much you care.

But it does seem calm around here...a little...too calm. How many mods do we have in here now? Does it really take that many people to discourage people like ADSR? The way I figure, let em do their thing, & just enjoy the forums those months of every year when they're in the psychiatric ward :D

As for me, no new gear :( In fact, I'm horrified at the realization that my gear needs to be upgraded! Gotta remember: I'm still a youngin. My first keyboard was a Yamaha PSR-540 (probably around 1999), then after a while I got a Roland XP-30 which has always been my main board just b/c I know my way around it in a pinch. But the Roland is falling apart. The PA I bought shortly thereafter is starting to wear out from sheer use. My mixer is slowly dying. All sorts of stuff. Man, I remember being a kid & spending hours afterschool figuring out rock songs note for note, so excited with my shiny new equipment. Now...it's 2007 & my gear isn't just obsolete, it's breakin down! This must be what old age is like.

I've been replacing plenty of Shure SM-57 vocal mics though. Double that number & that's how many mic stands I've gone thru :D

As for the bike - same old 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750cc cruiser. A year ago I put 6k miles on it riding down to Florida on a whim. Last summer I went to Laconia, the rowdiest of the biker rallies. But come Fall, life got pretty {censored}in rough (along with the weather ;) ) so it's been off the road since. BUT but but I'm nagging my people in Hollywood to let me bring it out :D

One solitary, slow ride down Sunset & all of this crap is totally worth it!

Glad to see you still around Don - lookin good in the pic :D

• Members
Deletion was thrown out of the window thanks to ADSR. I've fixed your duplicate post
:)

Good to see you here again!

O
M
G

After I read this I spent about half an hour trying to figure out how someone could abuse the "delete" button & I'm still stumped :D

I guess I maintain a degree of separation from the criminal element...good to see you still around Yoozer, the mod of all mods, keep the faith brother! Thanks again for all the XP-30 advice from back in the day.

• Members
Not at all. With the passing of the one and original dUdE thread the sickness spread and now there's silliness everywhere.

Good to see people loosening up then! Great to hear from so many of the familiar guys from back in the day too! Doug, Jeebus, mildbill, stubbs, mook, billywa, B3...KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE! KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE! :D

And make sure these kids don't eat dinner without saying GRACE damnit! :mad:

I'd give a holla to mytee but I'll just leave him a note in his headstash baggie :D

Pighood...I'd say something but you probably still hate me. Maybe we can be friends under a new president? haha

Archived