Short Scale Basses

desertlimosine

• Members
SquierCycloneand1966MustangBass.jpg

My `66 Mustang Bass with a semi-matching Squier Cyclone. Love the Mustang Bass, I found it on ebay for cheap - listed as an early 70s Musicmaster bass. Had to get a pickup/pickguard/thumbrest/headstock decal for it, but it turned out well. It's got nylon tapewound strings on it. It sounds/feels great. Frets are small.

When I got the itch to pick up a short scale Fender bass, I also looked at the old Musicmaster bass and the new Squier Bronco. The Squier's are dirt cheap, I'm still tempted to pick one up.

I play bass quite a bit. I currently have two basses: An 1989 Ibanez SR1100. I believe it was the top of the line Soundgear bass at that time. Ash body finished in clear, gold hardware (meh!) and active electronics / P-J config. EMG's. Even though it's a full length 34" scale, it's got a killer neck - great for players with small hands. I picked it up from a online buddy for $500.

My second bass is a Rogue VB-100. No joke - this thing is COOL. I paid $179 for it (they were on sale at the time) and I added a few things to it - Hofner "teacup" knobs, Stew-Mac banjo tuner button knobs... more cosmetic than anything else. The one thing you really DO need to upgrade immediately IMO is the stock strings. Budget for a set of flatwounds (I use Rotosound Jazz Bass 77's in 40/60/80/100) because it doesn't sound nearly as good with roundwounds.

308585.jpg

And here's a link to a Pro Review I did on it - lots of additional info / comments from several people:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102089

I've owned several short and mid scale basses, and of all the short scales I've played / owned, this is my favorite at anything approaching an "affordable" price point. I like Mustang and Musicmaster basses, but to me, that low E string always sounds somewhat dead compared to the other three - YMMV.

• Members

I love the mustang, it plays like a dream, made in japan, nice and punchy sound. I string all my basses with flatwound strings. The frets are well done, small and tall, the finish and pickguard are are beautiful, bit of a gap in the neck pocket but not enough to bother me. For effects I run into a mxr bass octave--eh mini q-tron--mxr phase 90--zvex woolly mammoth--keelly bass modded big muff--eh small clone--rocktron short timer delay--zvex lofi loop junky into a 1979 labseries L2 bass head into a 1979 bottom ported fender 15" bass cab loaded with a badass old JBL 15" bass speaker.

AmpL215.jpg' alt='>'>
l2head-1.jpg' alt='>'>

But I have either a sansamp bass driver di pedal and a zoom B2 I use if I'm just going out to jam with friends or noodleing in my living room with a little trace elliot boxer 30 practice amp.

• Members

I have a Fender CIJ Mustang in Vintage white just like the one in the first post.

It's maybe the most inspiring instrument I've ever had (joint with my synth).

Super-playable, can sound very bright or pretty deep.

I don't really want to touch my guitars anymore, I feel much happier playing bass.

I'm running it into -

*a little drive box I designed which gives a it growly sound.

*(Envelope filter in a few weeks, Maxon AF-9 possibly unless something of a similar size beats it)

*Ibanez AD-9 RI

*EHX Holy Grail

I may also add a fuzz.

[Edited so my sentences maake sense :)]

• Members
Thanks for all the info Phil!
:thu:
That rogue looks sweet. Instant Beatles vibe
:love:

While looking at some other Gibson models, I saw this:

196920gibson20eb120bass20guitar20s.jpg

I never knew Gibson made a model like that!

Furtive, that color combo on that mustang looks fantastic!
:thu:

I used to have one of these....Not a POS but, not one of my fave Gibsons. IF you find one with all the goodies, it has a metal "spike" that goes into the base of it so you can play it more like a cello if that makes any sense?

:thu::confused:

• Members
I used to have one of these....Not a POS but, not one of my fave Gibsons. IF you find one with all the goodies, it has a metal "spike" that goes into the base of it so you can play it more like a cello if that makes any sense?

:thu::confused:

I love my Trace stuff. Had it for many years, can't say enough good things about those guys PRIOR to the Gibson debacle!

:wave:

• Members

Ever since I put a bass pedalboard together, i've been playing a lot more bass
:)
The bass I currently have is a Washburn Bantam bass that I bought about 6 years ago for like $150. It served it's purpose over the years, and is an ok bass to play, but I feel that a shortscale bass would be more comfortable for me.

I've been looking around and reading reveiws a few shortscale basses, these two especially:

471356.jpg
Gibson SG Reissue 4-String

and

269294.jpg

Anyone have any experience with these, or with Short-Scale basses in general? Also, post pics if you have them.
:rawk:

I want one of theose white SG's now....

:cry:

This is the Aria I was telling you about, this one is on Ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Cardinal-CSB-380-Aria-Pro-II-Matsumoku-Bass_W0QQitemZ130083312753QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sometimes they go as low as $80-100.

Great little basses! Pretty versatile and very easy to play.

29pdczk.jpg

Phil is dead right about the Rogue BTW!

Archived