Metal Pedal

Voltaire

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well, I actually just won a metal zone on ebay for 52 dollars and am about to bid on a rocktron zombie, but i'm not sure if i should bid on the zombie or wait for the metal planet.

:(

SO.

if it was the rocktron Zombie VS the metal planet WHICH would win?

• Members
well, I actually just won a metal zone on ebay for 52 dollars and am about to bid on a rocktron zombie, but i'm not sure if i should bid on the zombie or wait for the metal planet.

SO.

Metal Planet, I'd say. Cheaper and more versatile. But the Zombie will get you VERY aggressive tones.

By the way, 83 is spot-on, the Fang and Metal Planet rule. Try the Metal Muff before you get it - I didn't dig it. Though I hear the smaller versions of it sound better.

• Members

I'm looking for very aggressive tones :thu:
i think i'm gonna go ahead and get that zombie then.

it's here for a mere 47 dollars so that's what i'll do.

i am a one genre guy i play technical black/death metal.

so i need to go with the more scratch your eyes out--feed them to you
kind of sound.

• Members

You should save for a good high gain tube amp(Mesa, Peavy, Older Marshall) and then get an Ibanez Tube Screamer for leads. No pedal is EVER gonna come close to the tone of a good amp gain.

Unfortunately this is true. If you wanna go a cheaper route look at Randall, Ampeg VH-140c solid state heads they kill for aggressive metal

• Members

To go proper, the best metal pedal is the channel switching pedal connected to a 5150.

Yeah, I know it's a cop-out answer. But I used to go the pedal route and in the end it was almost laughable how I couldn't keep up. Trust me. I play Gothenburg-style, In Flames, At the Gates, etc., and it's the amp of choice with the gain at 4. You want grindcore? 7. Black metal will probably lie right in between. I know Gian from Cradle of Filth used to use a 5150. Paul uses a Dual Rec, if I remember right, but Gian had better tone.

• Members

So far in the past two days I've won a boss mt-2, and a boss hm-2, I lost an auction for the zombie at the very last second, but as soon as i can find one for cost i'm going to go with that.

i don't want the uber pedal because i'd definitely want to stay away from digital products at this point--i've used too many as it is.

i want to also try the metal muff *roars*

ALSO--
the peavey 5150--is best for metal?
I was looking at the b-52 hyrbrid head but at this point i'm not sure of anything.

p.s. (i like the gothenburg metal sound :D)

• Members

From what I understand, the 6505 is a good choice as well. Unfortunately I haven't tried it, so I can't say exactly. I LOVE my 5150 - for me, the only thing that could beat it would be an Engl Powerball or something along those lines, the big money. I picked my 5150 head up for $350, and my bandmate just bought one to replace his Laney (he had a 5150 as well before) for about $450. The 6505 will most likely be new and run you about $1k. If you want an idea of the sound of one check here: www.myspace.com/maasneotekmetal

Not to do a shameless self plug, but both amps there are 5150s, one through a Genz-Benz 2x12 and one through an Avatar 4x12. If you want to talk more in depth about it, since I'm sort of in the musical direction you are interested in, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my AIM name or ICQ or whatever.

• Members

You might look into getting that metal zone modded by Keeley. I have one, I like it a lot. Check out his page for more info and clips:

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=16

SO.

• Members
From what I understand, the 6505 is a good choice as well. Unfortunately I haven't tried it, so I can't say exactly. I LOVE my 5150 - for me, the only thing that could beat it would be an Engl Powerball or something along those lines, the big money. I picked my 5150 head up for $350, and my bandmate just bought one to replace his Laney (he had a 5150 as well before) for about $450. The 6505 will most likely be new and run you about $1k. If you want an idea of the sound of one check here:
www.myspace.com/maasneotekmetal

Not to do a shameless self plug, but both amps there are 5150s, one through a Genz-Benz 2x12 and one through an Avatar 4x12. If you want to talk more in depth about it, since I'm sort of in the musical direction you are interested in, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my AIM name or ICQ or whatever.

I like your music, sounds good.

• Members

You might look into getting that metal zone modded by Keeley. I have one, I like it a lot. Check out his page for more info and clips:

hm, well, i may just try that as soon as i recieve the mt-2.

**Just for the record up until now the only distortion i've been using has been a digitech-gnx2---which has some high gain settings but lately it's been sounding extra crappily digital to my ears.**

• Members

what about the Guv'nor and the Jackhammer? Are they fit for a metal tone? I was thinking about getting one of those.

I suppose those could be used for a metal tone but i've never seen anyone talking about them and metal at the same time. usually.. those pedals and hard rock are in the same sentence.

Archived