Are JC-120s good amps?

Steve Howe

• Members

Many modern players use them for cleans in an A/B set-up. Stereo Chorus is better for the same reason that hitting a note and a third on one guitar on one amp sounds somewhat dissonant, and two guitars on two amps hitting the 3rd interval = iron maiden. The chorus slightly detunes, creating a general dissonance, though one that negatively impacts your sound. Stereo chorus separates that out, giving you a better sound reproduction and the harmonics jive better. Plus it sounds way more open because of the natural separation. At least that's how I've always understood it.

• Members

Its just better. Trust me. Somebody else can probably give you a technical explanation...but not me.

I can't tell you about stereo chorus, but I can tell you about the JC-120s. Basically it runs one speaker in chorus and one clean. The speaker that has chorus was a wider range/spread than the other one. It makes for a big sound and seriously nice chorus.

All in all, no, the JC-120 is pretty bad. I wouldn't get it if I were you. It's one of the most famous amps of all time, and in my opinion, one of, if not the best ever made. It's a bad idea. You should get something tube, and let people like me who not only do not really care that much about our tone, but aren't really worthy of some thing better buy. Did you find a deal?

• Members

Solid-state and all, they sound great when cranked. The spkrs. break-up nicely as does the electronics. Not exactly like a tube, but similar. Just watch out for the volume at that point!

It's not lacking in bottom as much as the top-end is extended. You can tweak the low-end up with pedals. My bassist and longtime friend hated when I gave it up for tube amps. he missed the snappiness and quick response of it. I keep it around for recording. Great to use with an amp splitter box. Need more clarity from your tube amp in the mix? Just bring up the JC120 channel and leave the EQ on the desk alone.

• Members

I've been considering a JC-120 because I'm frankly not big on the "warm" colored tone of most tube amp combos. Not to knock anyone, but that's just not my style. Sounds great for some styles, sure. Now that's confusing.

I prefer to start with a crystal clear base and use effects to tweak my own sound. I play form space music to ambient to prog to post-rock, so having a versatile base that can then let me do a lot of things well rather than do just one thing absolutely spot on is important to me.

That being said, does the JC-120 sound like it'd fit in that description?

• Members
I've been considering a JC-120 because I'm frankly not big on the "warm" colored tone of most tube amp combos. Not to knock anyone, but that's just not my style. Sounds great for some styles, sure. Now that's confusing.

I prefer to start with a crystal clear base and use effects to tweak my own sound. I play form space music to ambient to prog to post-rock, so having a versatile base that can then let me do a lot of things well rather than do just one thing absolutely spot on is important to me.

That being said, does the JC-120 sound like it'd fit in that description?

See my post...

:wave:

Archived