Does the TS-9 live up to it's reputation?

TeleMan1985

• Members

I hear the Digitech Bad Monkey spunds just like it for $60 less.

From some parties I've heard the same. From other's, I've heard some cynical stuff about the Bad Monkey. That may just be gear snobbery as it's so cheap, but I'm not sure...

• Members

From some parties I've heard the same. From other's, I've heard some cynical stuff about the Bad Monkey. That may just be gear snobbery as it's so cheap, but I'm not sure...

+1000 for the BAD MONKEY!!

You are correct with the comment about "snobbery".. I'll take another Bad Monkey over a TS-9 ANY day. It sits on my board with a TONEBONE TRIMODE, MI AUDIO- TUBEZONE, -CRUNCHBOX & -BLUES PRO.

The Blues Pro is basically a better TS808 original. I use the Bad Monkey for a very smooth and suttle 'breaking up' rythm sound(VOL-5 / LOW-6 / HIGH-7.5 / GAIN-4-6) through the clean channel on a Classic 50 and DSL50 halfstack and it sounds AWSOME!!!

• Members

My main overdrive pedal is based on a Tubescreamer, and I like it. They're well known for their prominent midrange, which helps you cut through in a band mix, which it does. Some people dislike the "honky" midrange sound (which does sound pretty suspect in isolation if you're a bedroom noodler, but makes up for it in a band mix), so that tends to be one of the ways that "boutique" tubescreamers differ from the stock ones.

Tubescreamers are one of those pedals that some people love, a few hate, and some are indifferent to. They're not hard to find so you can try one out, but it really needs a run out with a band before you decide on it.

Archived