I hate when guitarists brag they get a million tones without using synths... BUT

SaltyDogg

• Members

New verbal territory for me. A google search got four hits, which is fewer than "glorps" or "onanism."

Anaphilic - attracted to no one, or attracted to self.

Gynephilic - attracted to women

Androphilic - attracted to men

Ambiphilic - attracted to both or either

and now E.B.E.?

Eater of the British Empire?

• Members

I used to bust up at the liner notes on some of the older Queen albums, something along the lines of "No synthesizers were used on this record."

+1

Especially when they later embraced them...

BR

JN

• Members

To be completely fair, Allan Holdsworth, a guitarist extraordinare, was never shy of the fact that he used synths as his basic guitar sound. He merely used the guitar as a controller on many of his older records.
And even now, his tone could be easily confused with a synth lead. It's not that easy actually, he has a very unique (and quite hard to mimic) hammer-on & pull-off technique that makes the notes just glide.

• Members

....and before I forget, Al Di Meola. For many years, he just used his Ovation & Godin acoustic guitars exclusively. Even when playing live, and even for those Les Paul heavey tones he was famous for in the 70's. I saw him once in Detroit a couple of years ago, he just used a Roland V88, and I have to say I was very impressed.

• Members

One thing should be said in defense of guitarists....
Playing guitar sounds on a synth sucks. They ALL sound bad. I'm not saying they can't be used...as long as you don't try to pretend that it really sounds like a guitar. Some people now are even trying to play death-metal style guitar power chords on a synth. Worst thing ever to happen to music. Sorry......it's just true. If any of you are doing that.....just......stop. Thanks.

• Members

I play both. Keyboards and guitar. Although much better at keyboards, there's nothing like playing guitar, especially lead. It's a completely whole different dimension.

Usually (at least in my case) I am supporting the guitar player and making him/her sound good.

I can carry my own on the keys for most rhythm or solos, but there's nothing like playing lead guitar - it's an amazing expression.

There's nothing like it.

• Members

As much as I love to play guitar, two things occur to me:

1. Look at how much two-handed tapping goes on in those YouTube videos. After a while, you think, if you're just going to press on the strings all the time, why not just get a keyboard?

2. As mentioned before, the tons of digital effects that run between the guitar and amp. The string sound is processed way beyond its original sound (If you play electric).

Personally, I like to play simply with just guitar and amp. I like the clean electric sound, and I can get versatile enough with vibrato (fingers, not trem), plucking intensity, volume swells, et cetera. My reason for playing electric is pretty basic - ease of play with lighter gauge strings, more short-scale offerings (shorter fingers), volume when I need to stand out, better note sustain than with acoustic.

I have much respect for talented acoustic players. As a matter of fact, I play my electrics unplugged 90% of the time, and rarely use distortion.

• Members

...but they use like 10000 different analog effects units.
:eek:

Don't people realize those are synth-parts?
:rolleyes:

I dont think a guitarist should bash synths unless they use no effects other than overdrive, etc.
:idea::o

There's no question that guitars are far more intuitively expressive. But why cry about it? In fact, why limit yourself to silicon and plastic? Pick up a guitar and add to your own arsenal of tone colors.

Archived