ReezaFRATzits VS Tube Zone

!i!i!i!i!i!

• Members

i have been referred to these pedals by a couple players after looking for a heavy chunky mesa-ish distorted tone. I just got some cash and was wondering which one is the more sensible choice. Theres a guy selling his ReezaFRATzits for 150 on craigslist and was thinking of getting that but if the Tube Zone is the better pedal, i wouldn't have a problem forking over the extra cash to get it. Also, can anyone tell me if the subdecay blackstar is something to look into?

• Members

I have a 6-knob Tube Zone and it's good for the heavy driving rhythm stuff (Mesa-ish). For solos I think it needs to be a little more focused to stand out of the mix, but one can get by with it's solo tones. I've never tried the ReezaFRATzits...but I assume it would be a better plug and play pedal as it has less knobs than the newest TZ. Also, I would try and search HC for some ReezaFRATzits clips for comparison. There's bound to be someone on here who's had the pedal and recorded clips. Good luck with your decision. :wave:

• Members

I have a 6-knob Tube Zone and it's good for the heavy driving rhythm stuff (Mesa-ish). For solos I think it needs to be a little more focused to stand out of the mix, but one can get by with it's solo tones.

i agree with what you've said. sometimes i find myself boosting with an eq for a solo.

if you've got access to, try the new zealand made g2d Morpheus

• Members

I had a ReezaFRATzits for a few months. I liked it in the store, playing through a small tube amp alone. But when I got it with my band I couldn't do a damn thing with it. It's kind of cross between a distortion and overdrive but I found it too gritty for my taste. (I generally use Mesa Mark Series amps). No matter how I set it or where I put it in my effects chain or how I cascaded it I just found the tone too jagged.

But keep in mind I tend to go for a pretty smooth overdrive tone. I either use a Keeley Tube Screamer or Barber Direct Drive into either a Keeley/Boss DS-1 or MJM Foxey Fuzz for leads. Les Paul or SG with Ducan '59's are my main guitars.

• Members

I had a ReezaFRATzits for a few months. I liked it in the store, playing through a small tube amp alone. But when I got it with my band I couldn't do a damn thing with it. It's kind of cross between a distortion and overdrive but I found it too gritty for my taste. (I generally use Mesa Mark Series amps). No matter how I set it or where I put it in my effects chain or how I cascaded it I just found the tone too jagged.

But keep in mind I tend to go for a pretty smooth overdrive tone. I either use a Keeley Tube Screamer or Barber Direct Drive into either a Keeley/Boss DS-1 or MJM Foxey Fuzz for leads. Les Paul or SG with Ducan '59's are my main guitars.

Going on this comment, I'd say the TZ will be the smoother of the two. My old TZ was very smooth (original 3 knobber).

• Members

When I had both, I dialed them in to sound indistinguishable from one another. I had them right next to eachother and was switching back and forth so many times I really wasn't able to tell which one was which after a while.

I only sold the Reeza because the Tube Zone, while being able to cop my fave tone like the Reeza, could also do a lot more if I wanted it to because of the powerful tone shaping tools.

The Reeza is no slouch though... I had that pedal for 2 years and do miss the relative simplicity of it.

-Ben

• Members

When I had both, I dialed them in to sound indistinguishable from one another. I had them right next to eachother and was switching back and forth so many times I really wasn't able to tell which one was which after a while.

I only sold the Reeza because the Tube Zone, while being able to cop my fave tone like the Reeza, could also do a lot more if I wanted it to because of the powerful tone shaping tools.

The Reeza is no slouch though... I had that pedal for 2 years and do miss the relative simplicity of it.

-Ben

Can you post the settings for the TZ you like?

Which setting = Reeza?

• Members

I have both now and I'm toying with selling the Reeza for similar reasons to Ben Co. The Reeza is capable of different sounds than the TZ but some of those sounds are not as smooth, ODish as the Tubezone. I think if I was forced to pick between the two, I'd go with the Tubezone.

As far as settings go. I love this setting on the ReezaFRATzitz.

Level: 3 oclock

Tone: noon

Bias: 5 oclock

Gain: noon

• Members

Can you post the settings for the TZ you like?

Which setting = Reeza?

I can't remember the exact setting that = Reeza at this point, but I know for sure it wasn't far off from my current and to me 'sweet spot' setting on my TZ - which is NOT the same as in the pic of my board in my sig: the knobs got jumbled a bit as I moved the peds to a new board.

In approximate o'clocks:

Bright: 10

Mid: 5

Character: 10

Vol: 10

Tone: 12

Drive: 2

-Ben

Archived