Monsterpiece Mania!

Filter428

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ah okay. So it's not that new mg series or whatever then. I've heard those are relatively good, and they're only like 300 bucks... I'll have to try them out. I'm guessing I can't get what you have anymore for that price so heh.

By backup I mean to use as a backup for my atomic 112/18... for practice or live, whichever one I need.

Glad I spelled it right. :p

• Members

I have an orange with creme knobs Two Headed Monster. It's the best fuzz I've heard or played regardless of price.

I use batteries now, but does anyone know if the PP2+ can power both NPN and PNP?

I'm sure it can. Most independent builders try to make power an easy thing to tackle. Standard 9V AC.

• Members

I have an orange with creme knobs Two Headed Monster. It's the best fuzz I've heard or played regardless of price.

I use batteries now, but does anyone know if the PP2+ can power both NPN and PNP?

If you aren't going to use batteries, then the PP2 or PP2+ is the next best thing :cool:

Both the NPN and PNP versions use standard center negative adapters, but the PNP version cannot be daisy chained with something like a Visual Sound 1spot. The PP2 with it's discreet power outs, though, is perfectly OK.

Basically the PNP version needs either a battery, it's own dedicated adapter, or something like the PP2 for power.

• Members

Educate me on fuzzes. What is the difference between the npn and pnp that you offer?

The NPN is a positive ground circuit that utilizes silicon BC108/BC109 transistors. It is a versatile high gain fuzz that can go from near clean boost, to gritty OD, to distortion, to full on fuzz. It is very responsive to both your guitar volume knob and picking dynamics.

The PNP version is a positive ground circuit that is very similar to the one in the NPN version. This one has a hybrid silicon/Germanium transistor set. It is slightly warmer than the NPN version, and not quite as high gain.

:cool:

• Members

Hey! I had a bright one before he did, or is mine not truely "bright?"
:(

fuzzes_top.jpg

Your's is bright, but not flourescent :D

The first flourescent one I made was a hot pink Monsterpiece last summer... I think I called it "are you man enough pink" at the time

The first person to specifically ask for something like this in a direct / special order was FLYING V 83

Personally I dig the regular orange over the flourescent... but everyone has their own thing. That's why I make my pedals in so many different colors :cool:

• Members

Ah okay. So it's not that new mg series or whatever then. I've heard those are relatively good, and they're only like 300 bucks... I'll have to try them out. I'm guessing I can't get what you have anymore for that price so heh.

By backup I mean to use as a backup for my atomic 112/18... for practice or live, whichever one I need.

Glad I spelled it right.
:p

Yes, you're right, it's not the MG. I hear the MG's are cool too. I bought mine more than 15 years ago and I can't remember what I paid for it. It's ok but for less moola you should check out an Epi Valve Jr. Throw a fuzz, delay and an eq in front of one and you'll be shocked. Those little suckers get plenty loud.

• Members

Richard is cool people.

I had his 2-headed Monsterpiece and swapped it back to him for a single NPN which I asked for in "day-glo" orange. He commented that he hadn't done any in bright colors yet, and really liked the way it turned out.

NPNFUZZ.jpg
I specified jack location, knob & led color, and he was very accommodating.

I like to think I was the father of the brightly colored Monsterpieces that have followed.

;)

Once you have one, you'll know why it's the best fuzz deal out there.

Mr. Orange

MrOrange.jpg

• Members

Hey Richard, so the Classic Fuzz is just a straight Gernmanium? Would it sound good through a Marshall?
:)

Yep, the Monsterpiece Classic is pretty much a straight Fuzz Face clone, and all Germanium. Not as fuzzed out as the other Monsterpieces, but a bit more raw. The Classic is meant for running into an already hot tube amp... that's when it starts to sing :D

• Members

Yep, the Monsterpiece Classic is pretty much a straight Fuzz Face clone, and all Germanium. Not as fuzzed out as the other Monsterpieces, but a bit more raw. The Classic is meant for running into an already hot tube amp... that's when it starts to sing
:D

Yeah,. . .my PNP is at least close to a "Classic." Just from before you were callin' them that. All you say is true! It gets 90% of it's use in front of my "beater" '68 Champ which has very little headroom & is easy to push around. Makes some wonderful sounds!!!

Archived