How come fuzz pedals don't have tone knobs?

freeRadical

• Members

Just Fuzz and level on most Fuzz pedals. Most other OD/Dist boxes do have some tone shaping. My Addrock Geranium Fuzz has a Hi cut that is very subtle for Fender amps.

maybe 'cause they're muffled sounding by nature??? I just built one and that's what it sounds like. Any passive tone control would just cut highs and that would bury the sound even more.

• Members

I have a Sybil Fuzz With both a Silicon and Geranium Circuit on it and the Addrock. On my Bassman RI with my Tele (bright set up) I could use something to cut the high end a bit more. Have to keep the tone pot on the guitar low and I also have the CS card on the ZIM set to round off some highs. Neither of these sound muffled.

I sent the Sybil to Retroman to adjust it some. I just wish there were a trimpot or somthing.

• Members

It's because the old fuzz pedals from the 60's were designed for professional musicians. Stay with me--no insult intended... Back then, they really didn't have much in the way of "house" PA systems. Everything in every concert had to be driven by the band from on stage. That meant cranked amps. When you crank a tube amp, the output transformer gets saturated, which darkens the tone. So a fuzz pedal designed to go through a cranked amp would not need a tone control.

Now, an overdrive pedal was designed for almost the opposite thing altogether. It was designed to emulate a cranked tube amp. Hence the tone controls. Play an overdrive pedal through a clean, non-cranked amp, and it'll sound like a cranked, dirty tube amp--and of course you'll need to have control over the treble in that situation.

• Members

It's because the old fuzz pedals from the 60's were designed for professional musicians. Stay with me--no insult intended... Back then, they really didn't have much in the way of "house" PA systems. Everything in every concert had to be driven by the band from on stage. That meant cranked amps. When you crank a tube amp, the output transformer gets saturated, which darkens the tone. So a fuzz pedal designed to go through a cranked amp would not need a tone control.

Now, an overdrive pedal was designed for almost the opposite thing altogether. It was designed to emulate a cranked tube amp. Hence the tone controls. Play an overdrive pedal through a clean, non-cranked amp, and it'll sound like a cranked, dirty tube amp--and of course you'll need to have control over the treble in that situation.

Touch

• Members

I have this fuzz pedal, it's very rare, and hardly anyone knows about it. It does indeed have a tone control. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find, and I don't think anyone carries them, even though they are still in production. Good luck hunting this one down. It's elusive!!

bigmuff.jpg

• Members

GTH91IV.TONE.JPG

yeah, nice one...ive never seen them before...

guitar tone knobs just dont cut it sometimes! And it isnt such a crazy idea!...there are plenty of fuzzes that do have tone controls! Do you want me to attatch a really big picture of one for you?

• Members

Anybody else notice that some fuzz settings are affected adversly by the guitars tone controls? I swear that sometimes rolling off the tone gives a more treble tone to the fuzzz.

Anyways, between guitar volume and tone controls I don't think you really need a fuzz tone knob.

• Members

Great explanation Skreddy thanks!

Yes I'm using various pedals to have a pallete of dirt tones at lower volumes. I love the clean tone of the '59 Tweed Bassman RI but I'm not able to crank it like I would like.

I like how the Two Fuzzes I have clean up with the volume pot wich allows me a range of crunch to overdrive right at the guitar.

I'm going to have to try a Screwdriver - Muff type but I'm using single coils.

Jonny Guitar,

On the Sybil if I turn the Volume off the hiss increases significantly. If I want to be quiet for a passage I have to turn the volume somwhere like 30% or so, or turn it off to keep it quiet. It's weird like the pedal adjusts the gain a lot when the volume approaches zero. Kinda like a compressor is trying to keep the level equal or something.

The addrock is perfectly quiet when the volume is down and I'm not playing. They must have a gate or something. On all of the overdrives I've had I get a significant hiss when they are on and when I'm not not playing them (TZ, BD2, ODR1, even the ZIM H9 card).

• Members
I have this fuzz pedal, it's very rare, and hardly anyone knows about it. It does indeed have a tone control. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find, and I don't think anyone carries them, even though they are still in production. Good luck hunting this one down. It's elusive!!

bigmuff.jpg

i just found one the other day on craigs list.

its was like $800 and a blow job, but it was well worth it.

• Members

i just found one the other day on craigs list.

its was like $800 and a blow job, but it was well worth it.

You know about the "Big Muff" too? Or as I like to call it, the Elusive Tone Knob Fuzz. I thought I was the only one!

The price I paid can't be measured in physical dollars. All I know is, I woke up in a sleazy hotel in Singapore in a bathtub full of ice, with all sorts of sloppy stitches all over my abdomen.

More Big Muff in its natural habitat:

LAVACDCover2002LQ8cop.jpg

• Members

Tone knobs suck signal. Fuzzes want a lot of gain. Some have some cool ones that don't kill too much signal, usually just bass or treble cuts.

True dat. I've had a few old 70s EHX pedals with the tone bypass switch and the signal sounds noticeably beefier with the tone circuit switched out.

• Members

bigmuff.jpg

Nice job photoshopping a muff logo onto a picture of an ehx enclosure. Everyone knows these "Big Muff" pedals are just made up.

• Members

Nice job photoshopping a muff logo onto a picture of an ehx enclosure. Everyone knows these "Big Muff" pedals are just made up.

Okay, okay, you caught me. Sorry guys, I guess you were smart enough to know that there is no such thing as a fuzz with a tone knob.

bigmuffnotone-1.jpg

:D

Archived