What settings did Cobain use?

Kyle_64

• Members

specifically his chorus on smells like teen spirit. i was listening for a sound to set my chorus pedal to and i remembered that song and i listened to it. it was almost like a brick had hit me. coincidently, i use a small clone too so if anyone knows how he set the pedal, plz let me know!

• Members

thats all company tricks. what did he use....a backing track.

you think he sang those video'd shows without a pitchshifter wizard type soundman behind the scenes? kind of like a brittney spears for boys. do you think brittney spears can really sing?

in the movie transformers the Decepticons used a guy called soundwave.

NBC uses a stereo scoped video that can even the sides of peoples faces for close ups.

blow the whistle....

• Members

I used to be in a Nirvana coverband, so I think I can say this with some degree of authority, if you can't figure out how to get Nirvana sounds out of a Small Clone without help, find a new hobby.
:love:

The Small Clone is a pretty simple pedal.:thu:

• Members

I used to be in a Nirvana coverband, so I think I can say this with some degree of authority, if you can't figure out how to get Nirvana sounds out of a Small Clone without help, find a new hobby.
:love:

I would have taken this even further but yea,true!

:thu:

• Members

people really like to give Cobain some serious {censored}. He wasn't a genius (and, as far as I'm concerned, he couldn't write more than 2 great songs per album), but he was really serious about his tone and gear.

i'd be interested in hearing which 2 songs off each album you consider to be the great ones. :)

• Members

i'd be interested in hearing which 2 songs off each album you consider to be the great ones.
:)

I would say (the best songs, not necessarily the best compositions, you know?):

Bleach: Blew and About a Girl

Nevermind: In Bloom (their finest) and Lithium (I could mention Come as You Are here, too, but since it has the first riff I learnt, some 11 years ago, my opinion is kinda biased)

In Utero: Serve The Servants (it sounds to me so much like a beatles song) and Dumb.

share your favorites, please!

• Members

he was really serious about his tone and gear.

I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of his gear was secured from pawn shops, picked up principally because that's what they had available, not because of any conscious choice about tone on his part. And he used to smash it up at the end of a gig. Sure there were things he liked - Mustangs, Jaguars, Dimzario Super Distortion HB in the the bridge position etc, but I don't think that equates to being serious about tone. In fact he makes many statements to the contrary in the Live Tonight DVD.

• Members

One of the funniest things I'd ever read on this forum,and I mean it really busted me up..

thread post read;How did Curt Cobain get his tone?

Reply:I dunno,fart into a microphone?

Or something to that effect,I'll check search to see if I can find it..

Good times.

• Members

I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of his gear was secured from pawn shops, picked up principally because that's what they had available, not because of any conscious choice about tone on his part. And he used to smash it up at the end of a gig. Sure there were things he liked - Mustangs, Jaguars, Dimzario Super Distortion HB in the the bridge position etc, but I don't think that equates to being serious about tone. In fact he makes many statements to the contrary in the Live Tonight DVD.

I don't think he cared for his tone in the same way that joe satriani or gary moore do, but he surely had a solid idea of what sounds he wanted to come out of his amp or he wouldn't go as far as writing down the dials of his effects, like in that image above. Hell, if I were him, I would probably say the same thing on T.V. to avoid looking like a cork-sniffer-amp-hunter.

• Members

Kurts sound was merely a result of what he could afford and borrow!

A {censored}ing great result but he wasnt a gearhead,he couldnt be {censored}ed with that kinda {censored}.

The Amps bass/mids/treb have a lot to do with it as does a Hot Humbucker.

His sound is easy to emulate and i really love the music but i wouldn't emulate it because it was his sound.It is uniquely kurt. Same with slayer... it's a unique sound.

Archived