Artfully designed pedal boards

Zachman

• Members

thank you Zach. I found that site very interesting and their boards look very nice indeed. I prefer having tidy cables on top of the board to having cables underneath (IE trailer trash), because it allows you to rearrange.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
thank you Zach. I found that site very interesting and their boards look very nice indeed. I prefer having tidy cables on top of the board to having cables underneath (IE trailer trash), because it allows you to rearrange.

;) Agreed w/ the cable ontop. Makes it easier to fix in a pinch too, as they aren't all routed to the In/Outs of the pedal board and unaccessable without a tool kit. :thu:

• Members

neat freaks

all of you!!!

• Members

Well, my cabling is a nightmare cuz I havent bought the George L's kit yet to tidy it up, but here is my pedalboard. powered with the removable style power cord. Aluminum diamond plate, 30x19 inch surface. nice and light, but I need to buy an anvil type case to haul it now, no handles and no cover. The mass of cabling on the floor behind it is my loop snake, send and return line as well as the cable for the footswitch. My Maxon OD-9 is not in that pic. LIke I said it needs to be tidied up ALOT:thu:

S8000273.jpg' alt='>'>

S8000272.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

Absolutely agree 100%, the pro level stuff tends to be pricier for good reason, and isn't for everyone. If some guy is just starting out or is just a hobbiest, you're right, the little things that make a difference to the aficionado's, isn't likely a point of contention.

There are guys here who have $300+ pedals though, and more than just 1, some of them a LOT more than just 1, so they may be interested in a higher level of professionalism in their setups than say the guys who go with the "good enough is good enough" mentality with $25 pedals. Please don't get me wrong, $25 dollar pedals have their place and their market demographic, and they should. Some kid isn't likely going to be able to pay for Moog gear with their part time McDonalds paycheck, and should have something to get them in the neighborhood of what they want. Everyone starts at the beginning.

Delays as an example sure a Boss DD2 does delays. Does it do it like a Pigtronix, Maestro, Eventide, or TC Electronic etc...? NO... But it wasn't meant to either.
;)
Same for pedal boards. A piece of peg-board will work, but... You get the idea I'm sure.

The voodo labs pedal power 2 is $170 from Musicians Friend alone, plus shipping--Retail is $239, add to that a Custom interface, the cost of the board, the Mogami cable and Neutrik ends for 8 pedals, plus the labor cost. Granted it isn't CHEAP, but you definately get what you pay for, quality workmanship, and to some guys who take pride in their expensive pedals, it is worthwhile to have them mounted,wired, and displayed professionally.

It is definately NOT for everyone, though neither are $300-$500+ pedals and there are a lot of guys here who have them.

• Members
Whats wrong with using a plank for a pedalboard?

$600 for a small pedalboard? That's when it becomes time to step away from the computer and get a grip.

It's for people who spend that much on two pedals, and typically have about 10-20 pedals...

...in which case, it's only a fraction of the total cost.

If you're more like me, and that pedal board would cost more than all of your pedals, then you're probably looking at the wrong website.

Are there any good websites that show how best to wire up your own pedal board? That would be handy. :idea:

• Members

It's for people who spend that much on two pedals, and typically have about 10-20 pedals...

...in which case, it's only a fraction of the total cost.

If you're more like me, and that pedal board would cost more than all of your pedals, then you're probably looking at the wrong website.

Are there any good websites that show how best to wire up your own pedal board? That would be handy.
:idea:

THAT, is a VERY good idea and as it is now, there are only bits and pieces of GREAT info across multiple websites, but nothing really consolidated. It is what I've been trying to do with my website. (ex putting a bunch of info of topics that I've seen here and elsewhere into one convenient location), though granted based around the components I have in my rig, but it also includes Certain manuals, Spec sheets, FAQ's about wiring speakers (diagrams), videos on grounding, info on midi, midi foot controller comparisson chart, what is buffering, why choose a switching system etc...

Here is a you tube video of the building of John Petrucci's rack by Mark Snyder. It has a LOT of useful info EVEN for pedal guys that can be considered, when wiring up their pedals:

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDckVFz_4vU

http://www.zachpetersen.com/archive.htm

These are just a few of the topics I have on the site along with a bunch more.

Technical FAQ's

#

What is Biasing?

#

Methods to measure Bias

#

What happens if I mismatch the impedance in my amp?

#

Speaker Wiring Diagrams

#

Parallel VS Series wiring PDF

#

Mesa/Boogie MKIII Stripe/Dot History

#

Grounding and Shielding

#

Ground Loops

• Members

Yeah, a website that had step by step wiring tips, heaps of FAQ, how to sort out power issues efficiently and safely, how to work out what you need for the size and nature of your own set-up etc. I mean as it is, there's endless choices and not much independant advice about what people really need for their particular situation.

If I was a serious full time pro with lots of expensive pedals, then this type of board makes more sense, but I suspect very few people really would need something of this expense and customisation.

• Members
This is all very cool, but one part I'd miss is designing and setting it up myself. Part of the fun for me is putting it together myself and learning about it, trying to improve it, iron out problems etc...

VERY respectable...:thu:

Archived