Simple to learn VA rack needed.

MaNdU

• Members

I wan't to start learning to program VA.

I already have an Maudio controller that i can use to control any rack unit.

I also have a Lexicon mpx100 for adding effects to it.

Wich would you recomend for a synth player that have no idea on VA progm.

I'm willing mto spend $800 as max.

I heard the Phoenix and nord lead rack units demos wich i like.

Shoud i get somethink like a Micron or R3 better?

thanks.

• Members

Hm. That rack system's got potential, but:

- The envelope is distorted, so the bottom end doesn't come out as large as it should;

- The U-eye is too dark, and is sorta blank-looking.

- The formant filter is kinda twangy.

- It's way too expensive for what you get.

I'm sure it'd be fun for a while, but I think the maintenance will kill you eventually.

• Members

Simple to learn VA (Virginia) rack?

This is the simplest one I know of -- only two knobs to control:

VA.jpg

Damn Martin! A dirty mind is a joy forever ;).

Anyway, out of those you call, pick the Nord. All the others have menus to dive in, and you probably want something straightforward, first. JP8080, Creamware ASB (I got a Pro-12 yesterday and I think few synths are easier to work with).

• Members

2nd the Nord 2. Probably the easiest and best for a beginner. If you like one of the others, then go for whichever attracts you. The others have menus (like most synths), so you'll be pushing buttons to go through parameters.

• Members

The Nord Lead2 is based on the Prophet 5 right? You can pick up the Creamware Pro 12 for $699 right now from audiomidi I believe, as a possible alternative to the Nord. The Nord is a classic but the Creamware should be much more faithful to the original in terms of sound, which would be a big plus, for me anyways.

• Members

The Nord Lead2 is based on the Prophet 5 right? You can pick up the Creamware Pro 12 for $699 right now from audiomidi I believe, as a possible alternative to the Nord. The Nord is a classic but the Creamware should be much more faithful to the original in terms of sound, which would be a big plus, for me anyways.

I don't think the Nords were actually based on the Prophet, but they sure went out of their way to emulate the Prophet-5 factory presets. I'm getting a lot of milage out of those Prophet-type pads (think "In the Air Tonight") and sync lead (think the Cars).

As for "based" on the Prophets, you'd have to look at Dave Smith's Evolver line... not VA, but real.

• Members

Perhaps the Nord, but I'd actually lean toward a Nova. It's got some extra features over the Nord, and a bit more DSP power. However, they do sound quite a bit different. The Nord is going to be a little colder sounding, (you'll need FX with it,) but it will come out a little more clearly in mixes, and has a nice searing character. Nice synth. Not exactly my favorite, but cool.

The Nova has per-part FX. (may be useful to you if you don't have a ton already) It has a smoother, creamier, much more analog sound to it, and a nice interface. (the Nords also have nice interfaces) You'll probably find one of these for less than a Nord Rack 2+ as well.

I agree about the above recommendations for any of the Creamware ASB synths. Excellent prices right now, decent construction, and beautiful sound. These are about as analog as it gets on DSPs currently. I had a Scope setup for a while and loved it. (still would if I didn't start using all 64 bit OSes) Luckily the ASBs don't have this problem. The Prophet clone (Profit on the Scope,) was my favorite. The Prodyssee looks cool too.

A slightly more advanced option (but more rewarding as well IMO) would be a MicroQ. You can find them fairly cheaply these days (especially now the Waldorf is functioning again.) They're fairly easy to find your way around on, but I'd say they're less performance oriented (if that's important.) They have a matrix-style editing interface and a few knobs. They sound excellent though, have tons of modulation routings, and once you get used to the interface quite easy to use. (definitely one of my favorite VA synths)

Anyway, any of the above would provide you with something nice. By your comments though, the MicroQ probably won't fit as well. (little higher learning curve)

Nord, Creamware, and Nova would be my picks for you.

• Members

That would be the non existant x-station rack?
:p

if you look at my first post i also mention some keyboard options too:)

for the money i think the x-station its a good starting point with nice keys as i've heard.

thanks.

• Members

Quote by the Severalist:

"The Nord Lead2 is based on the Prophet 5 right? You can pick up the Creamware Pro 12 for $699 right now from audiomidi I believe, as a possible alternative to the Nord. The Nord is a classic but the Creamware should be much more faithful to the original in terms of sound, which would be a big plus, for me anyways".

They have the Pro 12 advertised at 899, which I am assuming is the MAP price. Did you call them for the 699 price you mentioned? That's not to shabby! They have the MiniMax on sale for 625.00

Mike T.

• Members

They have the Pro 12 advertised at 899, which I am assuming is the MAP price. Did you call them for the 699 price you mentioned? That's not to shabby! They have the MiniMax on sale for 625.00

Mike T.

Sorry, a little misinformation on my part. The $699 price is at novamusik, not at audiomidi (I always get those two mixed up for some reason.)

And your right, $699 is not to shabby at all. They also have the MiniMax for $599 btw.

• Members

599? That's down and dirty. The review KB did on the Prophet wannabe gave it an excellent rating. Other than the portamento falling short, it nailed a lot of the Prophet 5 sound and features. Not too shabby either! :love: These boxes must be very cheap to build, even though the build quality (at least in the picture) looks pretty good. Nova is running specials that are over 40% off!

Mike T.

Archived