Little Big Muff Pi vs Double Muff vs Metal Muff

gambit

• Members

i'm considering getting a cheap big muff but i'm not sure what to go for, so chime in, muff-fans!

i've had a black russian muff in the past and it seems too transistory, not enough sustain on the gain, and tone sucks like a little bitch. doesn't have 9v power either if i remember correctly?

does the double muff's lack of tone control and volume get in the way of making the most out of the pedal?

i'm presuming the metal muff's are going to be quit gimmicky.. but let me know what you think of those too.. i like the 3 band eq and top boost option, but how is the character of the gain compared to a Russian or USA?

• Members

if you want big muff sound, get a big muff.

:thu:

there really isn't a VS about it, they are 3 totally different things, with totally different sounds IMO

i'm not really after a particular big muff sound though to be honest. just a decent fuzz that's different to and can send my fender blender beyond!

they are cheap as chips on ebay UK aswell. so that's one of the main reasons fro getting a non-USA muff.

• Members

well ok...I have a double muff and I like it, but a lot don't seem to rate it, I wanted something without tone controls really because I like my tone anyway, I just wanted to add a little grit to the sound I had already, in single mode it's great for that and if you back the guitars volume down to 8 it totally cleans up (in single mode) which I really like. Cranked in double mode it sounds similar to a big muff, but without the bottom end boosted. For the money I think it's pretty great. I only tried the metal muff once, and I just wasn't keen on the sound for some reason, it just wasn't for me....I guess it was more modern sounding if you like.

• Members

i'm considering getting a cheap big muff but i'm not sure what to go for, so chime in, muff-fans!

i've had a black russian muff in the past and it seems too transistory, not enough sustain on the gain, and tone sucks like a little bitch. doesn't have 9v power either if i remember correctly?

does the double muff's lack of tone control and volume get in the way of making the most out of the pedal?

i'm presuming the metal muff's are going to be quit gimmicky.. but let me know what you think of those too.. i like the 3 band eq and top boost option, but how is the character of the gain compared to a Russian or USA?

Get the Little Big Muff- the Double Muff sounds more like an overdrive, the metal muff sounds like ass, and the Little Big Muff sounds like a Big Muff.

• Members

For everyone recommending a NYC muff over a little muff, it's essentially the same circuit in a smaller box. That's it's whole point.

no, EH changed the circuit a bit. they describe it as a mix between the Russian and NYC muff. i believe it is basically the NYC muff with the tone stack of the Russian version.

• Members

This doesn't completely answer your question, but hopefully it helps:

I have a Metal Muff Nano, and a Russian Big Muff (the latest kind)- they are two completely different pedals.

The Big Muff is good for those sludgy, muddy, sustaining, doomy type-riffs. The note definition is not good at all, but that's not really what this pedal is about. It has excellent sustain, and just sounds completely chaotic at louder volume levels (which I love for certain applications). I can get sounds similar to Smashing Pumpkins and Korn (especially the first album) with this one (depending on how the knobs are set).

The Metal Muff is a totally different beast. It works very well for music in the style of bands like: Metallica, Lamb of God, Pantera, Megadeth, Trivium, etc. This pedal is meant to play hard-edged, brutal metal, and not much else.

• Members

For everyone recommending a NYC muff over a little muff, it's essentially the same circuit in a smaller box. That's it's whole point.

This couldnt be further from the truth.

The LBM sounds way different than the NYC,it responds different,it sustains different and that would be because it is a different type of muff.

The schematics the same but the values are not which means its not the same.

like with the rams head,triangle etc etc the schems the same but not all values of all components are the same,hence a big variation in sound.

yet among the changes we are still left with teh muffs.

:thu:

• Members

It sounds terrible. Anything you put into it comes out horrible.

However I can see how rolling back the volume can provide some slightly more pleasant sounds. But you could get a much better pedal for that kinda thing

go on name something, in the same price bracket.

I certainly wouldn't recommend the double muff over a big muff, but it's good at what it does. I think it sounds great. I used both and I like both, they are just different, single muff mode is pure pleasure with my set up, maybe it isn't with yours, but that doesn't mean it's {censored}e.

Archived