How can you go wrong for 379$?

• Members

480532.jpg

The Les Paul Forum likes em, and you know they're hard to please... they say the neck pickup is pretty amazing, something like the blend of a tele neck pickup and a p90... and with a JB jr or something in the bridge this would be one sick little guitar. I'ma order one now that I sold my strat on ebay...

• Members

These new Melody Makers are fantastic - really, an amazing value, they play & sound great. We got one in the shop a couple months ago, really, really good.

However - the finish is so thin, it might as well not even be there, and that's not an exaggeration... the strap wore through the finish into the wood after 30 minutes. but who cares.

• Members

Here's the complaints I've found thus far...

-Typical Gibson, some are complete dogs and others are amazing build...
-Finish is thin enough that it starts to wear through to wood after about a month of play (would look kinda cool if you ask me)
-Bridge pickup is a little on the thin side compared to the neck which is supposed to be great
-Headstock looks goofy, but it is a reissue of the original
-PU selector is in the whole strum area, but I have a guitar with one in this spot too and it's not a problem
-some have complained about intonation with the stop tail, but others have replied saying that it is nearly spot on with a little adjustment of the screws
-typical Gibson vintage tuners (the ones on my SG classic have been fine for a year now)

Still seems like a cool deal to me, I never was a Fender guy and I just sold my Highway 1... Now I have enough to pick one of these up and get the jb jr and be guilt free. They are still for sale here on MF, in fact they just lowered the price from 399 to 379.

Now I just gotta decide between this and an Avatar cab...

• Members

Did your arm wear off the finish? How long did that take with normal play?

That picture was taken about a month after I got it. It started coming off maybe a week or two after I got it. I was playing it a lot, though, it being summer and all.

• Members

I love the look of these things, but damn do I hate the finish. For the same price I can get a nice Fender Tele that will at least be finished in poly...

I'm all for a guitar relicing and all of that...but it should at least take a few years! A few weeks is just unacceptable, IMO.

Archived