I know we have tons of best fuzz pedal threads, but hear me out?

Rushfan2112

• Members

I'm really anal and picky (har har) about fuzz pedals. I'd really like to get one, but I have some certain sounds I'd really like to nail/get close to.

The first is from Spoon - Don't Make Me a Target. It's the really thin plinky solo near the end.

The second is from Dr. Dog - Say Something. It's near the end of the track. Here's a link: http://uploadhut.com/download/image.php/?file=587846.mp3

The third is a plethora of Wilco fuzz tones. From the huge Big Cheese "I'm the Man that Loves You" tone to the more splattery "Spiders/Kidsmoke" and "At Least That's What You Said" tones, as well as the lower gain "Muzzle of Bees" solo tone.

That said, I do have some boxes that I really don't like. Zvex Fuzz Factories are a pain in the butt; I do not like them. I'm also not a big fan of Big Muffs. Too scooped, etc. My budget is... well, if there's a perfect fuzz out there that can cover all this (I highly doubt it), then I'd pay a ton of money for it. Nothing super crazy old vintage 50's/60's please. I don't have that much money. If I could get in the ballpark of these tones I'd be glad. I also have a BYOC Triboos to boost this fuzz if need be (it has a clean boost, Linear Power Boost and a germanium treble/full boost... that could be used to fatten up a thin fuzz.)

So, HCFX, watcha got?

Jarvis

• Members

Or you could get a used fish and chips for like 25 bucks, run it after the muff(or any fuzz) and bump the mids on dat' shiz. Seriously, eq after fuzz will add a ton of versatility to your fuzz sound.

As for me, I'm looking at grabbing a sinister analog ultralord here soon. I really want/need self osc. and all that crazy junk. Also, what don't you like about the fuzz factory? One of those with an eq after is also a very potent combo, I've found.

• Members

Or you could get a used fish and chips for like 25 bucks, run it after the muff(or any fuzz) and bump the mids on dat' shiz. Seriously, eq after fuzz will add a ton of versatility to your fuzz sound.

As for me, I'm looking at grabbing a sinister analog ultralord here soon. I really want/need self osc. and all that crazy junk. Also, what don't you like about the fuzz factory? One of those with an eq after is also a very potent combo, I've found.

It was the fact that every time I went to use it my perfect setting would get {censored}ed up. It was too unstable. And I don't really need/want self oscillation or anything.

• Members

I'm really anal and picky (har har) about fuzz pedals. I'd really like to get one, but I have some certain sounds I'd really like to nail/get close to.

The first is from Spoon - Don't Make Me a Target. It's the really thin plinky solo near the end.

The second is from Dr. Dog - Say Something. It's near the end of the track. Here's a link:
http://uploadhut.com/download/image.php/?file=587846.mp3

The third is a plethora of Wilco fuzz tones. From the huge Big Cheese "I'm the Man that Loves You" tone to the more splattery "Spiders/Kidsmoke" and "At Least That's What You Said" tones, as well as the lower gain "Muzzle of Bees" solo tone.

That said, I do have some boxes that I really don't like. Zvex Fuzz Factories are a pain in the butt; I do not like them. I'm also not a big fan of Big Muffs. Too scooped, etc. My budget is... well, if there's a perfect fuzz out there that can cover all this (I highly doubt it), then I'd pay a ton of money for it. Nothing super crazy old vintage 50's/60's please. I don't have
that
much money. If I could get in the ballpark of these tones I'd be glad. I also have a BYOC Triboos to boost this fuzz if need be (it has a clean boost, Linear Power Boost and a germanium treble/full boost... that could be used to fatten up a thin fuzz.)

So, HCFX, watcha got?

Jarvis

Try this one line6-dm4.jpg

• Members

Maybe you could look into a Monsterpiece fuzz. They get a lot of support around here and they're $95 each. I bet he has something you're looking for. I plan on getting one of his fuzzes soon after I acquire a few other pieces of gear.

• Members

If it's the Fuzz Factory, try my Good-bye High setting 3-3-5-12 and raise the Volume a little. Try a EQ pedal and boost the mids or low frequencies. I use a Frostwave Resonator HP-LP Filter add low end and do filter sweeps.
:)

Can't stand the Fuzz Factory, sorry. I thought I made that clear in the OP. Not a big Line6 Distortion Modeler fan either, so sorry Fuzz Face 71.

The Superfuzz looks interesting, as does the thought of Monsterpiece. I'm sure he could put together a great fuzz box for me. The '69 just got discontinued, right? I've heard one of the MI Audio fuzzes is a lot like it, but more tweakable. I'll check that out too! Thanks guys!

• Members

I've never heard any of the songs/bands that you mentioned, but can attest to the M.I. Audio GI Fuzz's ability to produce great, non-oscillating fuzz textures somewhere between the Big Muff's and Fuzz Factory's tonal extremes.

• Members

I'm not gonna say that. The Echo Park, Verbzilla and DL-4 are great products. Also, get off the internet. You almost have as many posts as me. And you've been here for two months.

i spam a lot. and our post counts added together are nothing compared to theothermittens who has been here for like a half a year and has like 7k posts.

but 3 good pedals is never going to make up for those atrocious amps they make and sell to nu-metal faggy 14 year olds.

• Members

'Cause I'm sure Beavis is gonna make a whole nother one of those crazy contraptions for me
:wave:

Beavis needs to hire Butthead so they can get more work done.

They can begin with an avalanche of Noisy Crickets at a reasonable price.

:freak:

• Members

maybe one of those lovetone big cheese clones... OLC?...

Been thinking of it. I know that'll nail the Wilco tones, and probably the Dr. Dog stuff too.

Honestly, I don't know if anything but a really trebly thin fuzz like a Fuzzbrite can get the Spoon sound. And I'd rather have the other two fuzz tones.

Archived