Do you keep backups of any pedals?

• Members

Just occurred to me that despite having a {censored}load of pedals, I don't have backups of anything that might die on me.

I do collect phasers, but i don't have two of anything. Oh, I do have two or three tuners.

Do you guys have multiples? Do you buy two or three Skreddys or Timmys at a time for backup (rather than resale)?

I do have two Teles amongst my guitars...although I wouldn't take both out to a show. Do you guys keep backups of the same model guitars or anything else? Take a backup amp to a show? (I don't even travel with spare valves)...

• Members

I use an old Ibanez analogue delay and have a spare under my bed, just because they're really getting on now so are a) occasionally dying and b) getting more expensive. I also love an obscure old phaser that I'd definitely grab another of if I could ever find one.

• Members

Well firstly, most most of my effects are either "boutique" or made by me.
If the "boutique" ones fail then they're pieces of crap (like a lot of boutique effects are,they cant even solder right) and if the ones i make fail then i need to check what i'm doing wrong and fix it.

Only pedal to fail outright on me is a BOSS and ibanez,the plastic en closured ibanezes from the early nineties.but these are one offs of each and i haven t even heard of many boss pedals failing.

Zvex are fairly decent build quality but not too {censored}ing good really in light of the price tag.zach dont personally make em anymore so ya cant blame him for it.solderings a little messy imho.

HBE cant solder for {censored},my dog has better soldering skils than them.I had to resolder 3 {censored}ing joins on a new germania,pathetic!

EH cant solder.but thats common knowledge these days.

Tonefactor can solder quite well and i'm overall happy with there build quality.

the point i have in this rant i spose is theres {censored} quality $400 effects and top notch $80 effects, you just gotsto know where to look. (trial and error)

So no, i dont have backups, i just keep my effects in perfect working order so i wont have problems in the beginning.

BTW,"boutique" effects (which comprise 99% of mine, both self made and bought) are not all there hyped up to be, i just want to be clear on this because people believe theres "magic" or some {censored} in em,well, there ain't and just cause it costs $300 - $600 and has a story about pixies and super klon monsters don't mean its any better than its generic mass produced counterpart.

My 2cents!

:wave:

I don't bring backups of pedals, although my pedalboard has a bit of redundancy built into it:http://blog.markwein.com/2007/08/03/pedaboards.aspx

I do bring at least two guitars. Three if something has to be in an alternate tuning, or I need an acoustic...I can bring two strats or Les Pauls to a gig, or a mix...I just got a Tele, and won't have another telecaster backup for that for a while....

• Members

I've got 3-4 Arion Tubulators. They were $10-$15 from MF for awhile and they have the Tube Screamer chip. They sound great but they're plastic and from Sri Lanka. I can't imagine them lasting forever but so far they all work. Actually one of them got too hot in a car and the plastic warped. But the guts are fine.

I bring enough different types of OD's that if one or two went down I'd still have what I need.

• Members

generally not a backup-type, as far as pedals go, however in certain cases (ie: dod 201, arion sfl-1, a few others) since cost of backup is relatively cheap, i've been known to have a duplicate or 2.

thinking about that though, the backups are bought just as much in the hopes that they offer a slight variation on a theme, so to speak.

so i guess, no. but at the same time, i'm not chained to a given sound, nor are my parts . give me a phaser, i'll get the job done, same with dirt, etc.

• Members
Just occurred to me that despite having a {censored}load of pedals, I don't have backups of anything that might die on me.

I do collect phasers, but i don't have two of anything. Oh, I do have two or three tuners.

Do you guys have multiples? Do you buy two or three Skreddys or Timmys at a time for backup (rather than resale)?

I do have two Teles amongst my guitars...although I wouldn't take both out to a show. Do you guys keep backups of the same model guitars or anything else? Take a backup amp to a show? (I don't even travel with spare valves)...

I have backup's for my backup's!:wave:

• Members

My backup is just not using effects, which is how I played anyway for years, until getting on my recent pedal kick.

Long as I have a guitar and amp (and yes, I have backups for both of those), I'm fine. Effects are just something to get some different textures from sometimes, but by no means essential to me doing my thing.

• Members

I have an OLC Chunky Cheddar that I now use instead of my Big Cheese. I originally bought the OLC as a back up but now use it for gigs and rehearsals, I keep the Big Cheese at home and get it out for the studio and 'special occassions'!

I have an early Big Muff (w/tone bypass) that I have done a similar thing with by getting a Little Big Muff and using that instead.

I used to keep a couple of (Crybaby) wahs at all times when I was touring, cos I'd go through them quite regularly! I don't use wah too much these days...

Archived