Clean Boost

bvester

• Members

I was considering picking up an Xotic RC but they're way too expensive for a simple boost pedal. I've looked at some others, the most impressive being the thesyle moon boost.

I'm also considering just getting the $70 signal buffer from http://www.pedalboards.com

Any other ideas for a good affordable clean boost? Would a boost be necessary if I am using a buffer?

• Members

A Porsche and a Hyundai will both get you to the same place, but I bet you would prefer the former.
EHX LPB-1 is a good cheap one. I like the Burriss Boostier.
Use a boost to drive your tube amp without coloring your tone.
Try the search function, these questions are asked daily.

• Members
I was considering picking up an Xotic RC but they're way too expensive for a simple boost pedal. I've looked at some others, the most impressive being the thesyle moon boost.

I'm also considering just getting the $70 signal buffer from

Any other ideas for a good affordable clean boost? Would a boost be necessary if I am using a buffer?

MXR Micro Amp is in my opinion a fine boost @ a good price.

• Members

E13 has some really great sounding boost pedals, for a good price. I tried a few "budget" boosts, dod bi-fet...ehx lpb-1...

I didn't like any of them as much as the E13 punch love. I think you can pick up an artifact boost for like $35 or something.

You wont regret it.

• Members

.....Would a boost be necessary if I am using a buffer?

they are pretty different things, and both application and specific pedal make all the difference (not all buffers are created equal, if nothing else).

sounds like you want a clean boost to drive signal though a bunch of other stomps, have i got it right?

whats yer signal chain look like, and what are you trying to do?

• Members

they are pretty different things, and both application and specific pedal make all the difference (not all buffers are created equal, if nothing else).

sounds like you want a clean boost to drive signal though a bunch of other stomps, have i got it right?

whats yer signal chain look like, and what are you trying to do?

Well that's why I'm attracted to both a buffer and a clean boost - I'd use the buffer to get the best possible tone out of my pedals and the clean boost to get some more volume and cut from my amp. That's really what I'm going for.

• Members

I don't know much about it's poopularity, but the Seymour Duncan pup booster is $80. It's on my try it out someday list.

nah, it sucks dude, forget it. the older models were poorly made, but the newer models are solid, but they still suck. it adds tons of bass the more you turn the volume up, and the resonance switches it comes with are basically useless.

for example, if i just turn my amp volume up a buttload, it sounds amazing and a nice treble tone (i keep my amp at neutral EQ and play through a tele with the tone knob all the way up). With the seymour duncan, it ends up sounding like my DS-1 with a nicer texture. Not what I wanted at all.

• Members
nah, it sucks dude, forget it. the older models were poorly made, but the newer models are solid, but they still suck. it adds tons of bass the more you turn the volume up, and the resonance switches it comes with are basically useless.

for example, if i just turn my amp volume up a buttload, it sounds amazing and a nice treble tone (i keep my amp at neutral EQ and play through a tele with the tone knob all the way up). With the seymour duncan, it ends up sounding like my DS-1 with a nicer texture. Not what I wanted at all.

well that sux :mad:

Next on my list, super duper 2 in 1 or super hard-on.

• Members

you guys talking about using compressors.... can the barber tone press act as a clean boost too?

I don't see why not, as long as it has a volume and a sustain knob.

Optical compressors (like the Maxon) are supposed to be more subtle, so I suppose it would be more "clean" than other compressors when used as a boost. I've been using mine with my accoustic, and its been an absolute lifesaver during gigs. Otherwise, I'd be fiddling with the damn volume knob on my preamp every two seconds.

• Members

NO. the tonepress would not be a gain boost like the micro amp.

2 different circuits.

the clean boosts i use are for tube amps. to drive the tubes harder. the micro amp is excellent, the LPB gets it done, i own the BBE boosta grande.

there is one on ebay this AM for $40 buy it now. thats probably a possible best deal.

Archived