proco rat help!

j_dernoncourt

• Members

so i'm going to buy a rat, but i have a few questions before i do so.

is the vintage reissue essentially the same thing as the new rat 2?

and neither of these feature the lm308n chip, correct?

would you opt for a vintage reissue or a rat 2?

i dont think i'm gonna wait around for a real vintage rat to pop up.

at any rate, thanks for any help at all. i promise this is my last rat thread.

• Members
so i'm going to buy a rat, but i have a few questions before i do so.

is the vintage reissue essentially the same thing as the new rat 2?

and neither of these feature the lm308n chip, correct?

would you opt for a vintage reissue or a rat 2?

i dont think i'm gonna wait around for a real vintage rat to pop up.

at any rate, thanks for any help at all. i promise this is my last rat thread.

the reissue vintage rat is the exact same specs as the original rat. There's virtually no difference, and i think it actually does have the Lm308n chip. I'm not sure though.

The Rat2 sucks in my opinion, i've used it a couple of times and thought it was muddy and annoying. I'll have to give it another shot though.

But yeah, don't wait for a real vintage one, there's really no point.

:wave:

• Members

awesome..

now if i could just find a {censored}ing reissue for less than 80bucks.

really?

i found one on ebay for 25 the other day with a broken battery clip.

you just gotta keep looking i guess.

i almost bought one at the local shop for really cheap, but the owner sold it even though the guy i was talking to told him to not sell it because it was broken and he was saving it for me. :(

Kinda pissed me off, but the owner is my guitar teacher now, and he's cool.

i ended up spending the money i didn't use for weed.

I liked that choice better.

• Members

First off, congrats on choosing the Rat2!

Second you can mod it to sound better if you're not entirely impressed with it.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/FKR/

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/FKR/images/MightierMouse.gif

In case it doesn't have the LM308n chip, you can get one from Small Bear Electronics for $4.

IC LM308N

8-pin DIP, build a RAT!

PRICE: $4.00

• Members

everyone seems to like the rat2 except me. maybe i just didn't use it right? haha.

i used it once or twice at sam ash, and it was muddy, not very gainy. maybe i need more volume? i was trying to keep it relatively quiet since it was in a store.

I always try to max the volume on rat2's - the vintage rat ri is alot smoother imo. The old rat2 are to be used live and loud to sound best.

• Members

I always try to max the volume on rat2's - the vintage rat ri is alot smoother imo. The old rat2 are to be used live and loud to sound best.

old rat2? as opposed to the current one?

the rat that was in the same box as the rat2 is in now is the same thign as the vintage rat (original and reissue).

• Members

old rat2? as opposed to the current one?

the rat that was in the same box as the rat2 is in now is the same thign as the vintage rat (original and reissue).

no as in 80's small box rat. wait I'm lost? well maybe this will clear things up- I have an 80's small box rat "rat2 i believe" with that chip people talk about- the I also have a vintage rat ri made in 2000 something.

• Members

no as in 80's small box rat. wait I'm lost? well maybe this will clear things up- I have an 80's small box rat "rat2 i believe" with that chip people talk about- the I also have a vintage rat ri made in 2000 something.

yeah they're the same thing essentially. the vintage rat reissue (the one made in 2000) is a direct copy of the vintage rat ver. 2. the small box rat made from 84-88 is the same thing, but just in a smaller box.

the rat 2 that's current in production was started in 88.

here's pics:

history_rat2.jpg

=

history_smbox.jpg

=

history_vint_rat.jpg

The difference between the first and third is the logo, and a battery compartment on the bottom of the vintage reissue.

by the way, i pulled all this off the proco website, so if i'm retarded and can't explain it well, just go to procosounds.com and navigate to the rat page.

• Members

I use a Rat2. It's an 80's model with an led and lm308 chip. The circuit board was changed in the 90's. I have a 90's one also, which sounds a tad bit harsh at the same settings, but can be dialed in to sound the same as the 80's model on other different settings. I've also owned the original, big box, from early 80's, and it sounded nicer but less bass than the RAT2's.

After 2003 or somewhere about then, the lm308's were no longer used and the design of the pedal is a more slanted shape. Swapping out the chip will make it sound closer to the original, but the originals seem to have a warmer sound to them with less fizzyness, but that could be from age and use.

But anyway, the get the most out of it, set the volume at least at unity or higher than your amp, then adjust the gain. I set mine with the gain at 11:00, Tone 2:00, volume 3:00 and it turns my deluxe reverb into a marshall when I need it. The sustain is damn near perfect also.

• Members

everyone seems to like the rat2 except me. maybe i just didn't use it right? haha.

i used it once or twice at sam ash, and it was muddy, not very gainy. maybe i need more volume? i was trying to keep it relatively quiet since it was in a store.

I can't find a proper use for it, though, its mostly just boosting for more extreme fuzz from the muff. Gets a pretty okay black flag sound though...

• Members

I love my 80s smallbox, non-LED. best $50 i've ever spent on guitar gear. I'm considering getting a new rat to do a keeley mod to or something, though. I like setting this one to be set up to have a real, real nice saturated sound, especially with a TS9, and I want another one to be more balls to the wall for rhythm sound. But I think that's what I had bought my Mesa for...maybe I have an amp for sale soon...

• Members

i use the new rat2 without the lmwhatever chip and everyone who hears me play with it has told it sounded better than any rat theyve ever heard. ive never actually heard the old one but i loved the fact that people are into my sound whether it has the amazing "vintage" chip or not.

Archived