what type of Delay do I need to make my solos sound kicka$$ ?

Gravity

• Members

My band was paired down to a three piece recently which means that the guitar lead work is now my sole responsibility.

Anyway, the guy before used a delay pedal for his solos and, after playing solos without one, I realize how nice a good delay effect can be.

I think he was using a new Boss delay pedal of some sort. I really wish I had paid more attention to it! It was a white one thats the size of a standard boss pedal.

So what should I look for in a delay to help liven up a solo? How many ms?

And I'm assuming that it's best to run these in the loop?

I'd really like to keep the price below $100, new or used. So what's out there that would do me right?

Like I said, I just want something to thicken up my lead-work a bit and make it stand out front a little more ... and I'm already using a boost as well.

Thanks.

• Members

Just buy any two delays. I like Boss ones. DE-7 is nice and cheap if you want it to sound analog.

I'm tired of this brian may video.

Boss DD-3 is nice,

the Ibanez analog is good,

I really love my Diamond memory lane, but it's about $500,

the BYOC delay is a great vintage-voiced delay, easy to use.

You only need the standard 300 or so ms for thickening up a solo.

• Members
you don't need a delay. you need to practice.

Eric Johnson should probably practice some more too, huh? ;)

I have the Guyatone MD3 which I really like a lot. My friend has the DD3 on his board and we agree the MD3 sounds better. I use it for the lead thickening type stuff as you describe, everything set in the middle with the repeat volume down a bit, maybe 10-11 o'clock.

• Members

I would recommed the Boss DD-3. I used to play in a three peice and it always sounded very empty when I played lead. We ended up with the bassist using a Blues Driver. He would kick it in when I would play lead, and It would fill up the empty space with fat fuzzy bass, and it sounded huge.
Thats worth a try!

• Members

you don't need a delay. you need to practice.

gee ... thanks

nah ... I can massage pentatonics into some nice solos

the focus of the band is not guitar acrobatics anyway ... I just want a little thickening agent to help in live situations

Thanks for all the suggestions guys ... and keep them coming if you got them.

if you want to see what we sound like ... check out the link below

I think about 1/2 of the solos there are mine

• Members

Boss DD-3
Guyatone MD-3

Will get'cha there. Keep the delay time anywhere from 50 MS to 150 MS and you will have a doubling effect to a slapback. If you find too much "digital-ness" in your sound turn down the level or Mix a bit. Either one of these delays also sound "ok" to "good" running into the front of an amp also(with these low settings) but that is subjective.
I used these two as example because I have used them both live.

Really expensive delays are really nice for home and or studio, but live is another animal.

• Members

I think I found the solution to my problem.

I forgot that I had an old ZOOM 2020 mutli-effects pedal that had all sorts of delay options.

Problem was, it sucked tone.

So I built a true-bypass box for it and I think I'm good to go.

But if this setup doesn't do it for me, Ill be checking all those pedals you guys posted.

Thanks a million:thu:

Archived