So what's the verdict on the Dano Surf n' Turf Compressor?

DylanWilde

• Members

ive used one a couple of times....i like the way it sounds eneough...good for the money.....but i have to tell you...my favorite one ever was a broken one that i found at music go round....if you turned both knobs all the way up it gave off this crazy like pscyo fast tremolo sound...it was like really cool....i loved it

• Members
  • Members

• Members

I really like the guyatone st2 for compression. Best compressor under $150 in my opinion. As transparent and quite as you want it to be and it lets you mix back in the original signal over the compressed one. Not crazy about the switch and grommet on the bottom but i love it anyway.

• Members

I like it. Some of the parameter choices make it seem slightly subtle, but the frequency response/sound is slightly better than my Ibanez and way better than any Boss. Not as nice as using a ADA MP-1 but that's unfair due to the EQ. The Ibanez's attack knob would be enough to win over the Dano though if the switch weren't screwed. Not as intense or good as dbx 160X of course. I haven't tried boutiques.

Of course you can get noise, you can get a lot of compression. If you only hear the noise and not the compression, it's definitely good enough to say compression is probably not for you.

• Members

I am thinking of applying the compressor as a "leave on" subtle effect to my natural tone, which is either my Aria LP copy or Hohner Tele copy running into my old tube traynor combo on about 8, which yields the whole "clean when lightly picked overdriven when hit hard" sound. I am thinking the compressor wold just, in general, give me a bit more sustain and even out my sound so that my pick attack and those subtle traits don't get too lost in the mix with my band.

Yet when I hear about people using the compressor for sustain and slight subtle evenness, they seem to always refer to their clean tone. Is it just redundant for my situation, with the a lightly overdriven sound, since I am already getting some natural overdrive and sustain from the amp?

• Members

I think it could work well for you. Compression only seems to get lost in very high gain situations, in those cases the overdriven tubes usually have already compressed and clipped the hell out of the sound anyway. Have to recommend the guyatone again.

• Members

I had a Surf & Turf and to be brutally honest it was the worst pedal I have ever owned. I'm assuming mine was a QC miss, but it picked up AM radio stations and was very noisy. No other pedal has ever done that on my rig. You can get a better compressor in the same price range - maybe the Behringer CL9 or a used Marshall ED-1.

Archived