So, here's what I've been listening to lately... recommend me more stuff

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn.

Explosions In the Sky - all of their stuff is good.

Sigur Ros? A lot of people dont like them, but a lot of people are obsessed.
:wave:

I was just about to say Explosions in the sky..

I'll second it anyway. :thu:

• Members

pffft guys, Explosions is an obvious one. I've seen them live before. I was trying to get some less obvious/less heard of instrumental bands I probably haven't heard :p

EDIT: here I'll list other similar bands I already listen to so they don't get repeated: A Silver Mt. Zion, Tristeza, Godspeed, Russian Circles, Explosions, Sigur Ros, Rroseliceour, Red Sparowes, Mono, Envy, Do Make Say Think, Bjork, Mum, The Album Leaf, Sharks Keep Moving, etc.

really just looking for any good instrumental (or mostly instrumental) post rock, or math rock kinda stuff..... or maybe even some trip hop/downtempo electronic chill kinda stuff..

• Members

American Analog Set is amazing, they're the band who recommended Explosions in the Sky to the Temporary Residence label. Not the same sound or anything, but really good music.

Some guy on the boards here is in Tunturia, which can be found on myspace. Cool tunes.

Of course Godspeed You! Black Emperor is amazing, I'm sure you've heard of them.

Lately, I've been obsessing over The Microphones/Mount Eerie/Phil Elv(e)rum on K Records. It's a bit more on the folk/experimental side rather than post-rock but definitely worth checking out. It's recording genius meets minimalist songwriting.

For heavy, epic, self-produced, self-released metal there's a band from central PA called the Pax Cecilia. Their best album was Nouveau, and the new one is pretty decent, can't remember the name right now. They might still be offering their CD's for free on their website.

As mentioned above, Sigur Ros is a band to check out. I'm one of those people obsessed with them. (( )) and Takk are widely available in most decent record stores.

Happy hunting!

[EDIT: typed this before your last reply]

• Members

Word. Thanks. I have a bunch of stuff by the Microphones but haven't really listened to it too much, because I don't think I liked it the first time I bothered, but maybe it's worth relistening to.

I've heard of American Analog Set talked about a bunch of times but never listened to them.

I'll check out the other stuff I haven't heard :thu:

• Members

Depending how wide you're casting your net, you could check out some stuff like Squarepusher, Dalek, DJ Shadow and DJ Logic for the trip-hoppish stuff (I imagine you've heard Portishead).

Also, electric Miles Davis can be pretty cool, ala "In a Silent Way" and "On the Corner". Definitely not traditional jazz stuff.

• Members

Depending how wide you're casting your net, you could check out some stuff like Squarepusher, Dalek, DJ Shadow and DJ Logic for the trip-hoppish stuff (I imagine you've heard Portishead).

Also, electric Miles Davis can be pretty cool, ala "In a Silent Way" and "On the Corner". Definitely not traditional jazz stuff.

I like DJ Shadow... even had some dvd thing he put out :lol:

And yeah, I like Portishead... and I always hear Squarepusher talked about whenever Aphex Twin is mentioned, and I love Aphex Twin, so I should probably check that out...

• Members

Well you are already listening to the band I would have recomended. Yndi Halda are incredible and I don't know why more post-rock fans don't listen to them. That being said check out: Aerogramme, Cul de Sac, Bark Psychosis, Fly Pan Am, Aphasia, The Grails, Gastr del Sol, Red Sparrowes, Slint, and Set fire to Flames. I'm in a post rock band too. So as soon as we get some stuff recorded you can listen to it. :thu:

• Members

Any of you listened to any of these: Bright Red Paper, Samuel Jackson Five, Up C Down C Left C Right C ABC + Start, Tides, September Malevolence, This Is Your Captain Speaking, God Is An Astronaut, Tarantula AD, Daturah, Laura, Shelter Red, Conifer, Buried At Sea, Akron

???

These are all bands I've heard of but never had a chance to listen to. Any of them extremely good and should be checked out ASAP? :lol:

• Members

Well you are already listening to the band I would have recomended. Yndi Halda are incredible and I don't know why more post-rock fans don't listen to them. That being said check out: Aerogramme, Cul de Sac, Bark Psychosis, Fly Pan Am, Aphasia, The Grails, Gastr del Sol, Red Sparrowes, Slint, and Set fire to Flames. I'm in a post rock band too. So as soon as we get some stuff recorded you can listen to it.
:thu:

Hmmm, Set Fire To Flames sounds really familiar... Have they toured with Isis?

EDIT: oh wait... just looked them up... another godspeed side project?

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Shelter Red is definitely one of my favorite bands now, I bought both of their cds, both T-shirts, and have been trying to get them to come play out here in new england, preferably at the palladium. I love their style, unlike no other IMO.

Archived