what is Madchester?

willyemerald

• Members

yep that's it, Manchester music periodically goes through stages of being "cool" the Stone Roses and the Smiths were really good bands back in the 80s, the rest jumped on the band wagon , Oasis were the latest.

I've gigged in and around Manchester for the last 10 years and you still get no end of wannabee {censored} bands with Parker jackets, stupid hair playing {censored} guitars singing in a super manc accent. Shame cos Johnny Marr and John Squire are {censored}ing awesome guitarists.

• Members

It was kind of like pre-shoegaze without the shoe gazing and lots of dancing.

I guess it was the guitar pop reaction to acid-house - Some of it was actually good (re: The Stone Roses, Northside) some of it was pure, drug adled hype (re: Happy Mondays).

Most of it just hasn't stood the test of time - Vapid stuff - like 99.9% of the disco stuff that came out in the late '70's.

• Members

it was a whole scene that was in manchester where a lot of the once 'local' bands became superstars. there was a lot of talent around that time coming out of my home city. all related to the hacienda, factory records etc etc. it's all related to joy division, new order etc. tony wilson played a big part in the whole thing.

and yes, there are still a lot of {censored}ing toss bands now that would love to have been born 20 years earlier. but they weren't. and they're {censored}.

• Members

I guess it was the guitar pop reaction to acid-house.

That's how I would have defined it. Oasis were later, and not related to Madchester, New Order/Joy Division and The Smiths were earlier, and also separate, even though all of them were from Manchester.

Madchester was heavily influenced by acid house/rave culture, and many of the best known albums were produced or assisted by some of the top electronic producers and artists of the time. This was blended with some of the indie ethic of Factory records (who signed some of the bands) and a good dose of sixties pop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madchester

EDIT: It would seem that what I'd have called "Madchester" is more like "Baggy".

• Members

charlatans had some good stuff, still do. the debut had some good pyschedelic tunes (oppportunity, anyone). even the roses 2nd coming was a great record, but it wasnt manchester/baggy anymore. no, take away the NME had there was some good/great bands. I like northside, some of it anyway

• Members

Affleck's palace has always been a kind of indie/hippy bunch of shops, back in the late 80s it was the place to buy "Madchester" clothes, like old flares, beanies and {censored}.

The Hacienda was converted into wanky apartments about 5 years ago, it still says Hacienda on the building on the corner of Whitworth St West. When it was a club it was always getting closed down for having loads of problems with drugs, guns, gangs etc, until eventually they just gave up and sold it.

Archived