Cheap Wah?

Kittie Rose

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Got the Black Cat Moan. Very sweet pedal, exactly what I was looking for. Cheers.

i have one coming in the mail, cant wait to try it. From my understanding, the moan "kicker" switch turns on a tubescreamer type circuit - is this right?

• Members

i have one coming in the mail, cant wait to try it. From my understanding, the moan "kicker" switch turns on a tubescreamer type circuit - is this right?

That's what it says in a HC review, I'm guessing that's where you read it?

The distortion itself sounds strange, it has more of a "Voxy" feel to it. It sounds like a mid heavy fuzz. Very strange. Almost sounds quite Synthy at higher Moan levels, which is very cool. You don't notice this when the Wah is engage.

The reason it has this is that in high gain situations, the higher the gain, the more the Wah is covered up. The classic solution to this is to place some kind of a boost before the Wah - with the BCM, you don't have to. It can cut through pretty much any distortion.

Doesn't work with the Fuzz Factory though, which sucks, it seemed like a match made in heaven. Just seems to control the Stab instead of properly Wahing. Need to get another Fuzz to use with it. Unless anyone knows a quick mod.

• Members
where did you buy it?

I can't find these things anywhere over here????
:confused:

I couldn't either. Rocktron don't seem to sell much in the UK & Ireland, never seen their stuff. You'll get it cheaper off eBay than you ever would here, I got it for around $70.00 or so. Much better value than a Crybaby or just about any other Wah.

• Members

I couldn't either. Rocktron don't seem to sell much in the UK & Ireland, never seen their stuff. You'll get it cheaper off eBay than you ever would here, I got it for around $70.00 or so. Much better value than a Crybaby or just about any other Wah.

oh, I see cheers....the only place I saw one was dolphin and it was

• Members

It's TB. One of the only Wahs in existence that is. I doubt you'll find a cheaper TB Wah.

Basically, it has a three way switch; for a more modern Crybaby/Morley sound, a lovely creamy oldskool Vox sound, and a Bass Wah, which also does some cool stuff on a 7 string.

The Vox is by far my favourite. I just didn't find the Crybaby one all that impressive. It's real thick, rich, creamy, with some seriously haunting mids.

The MOAN function gives you a really interesting distortion.

I kind of wish it was higher gain, and the dynamics aren't the best, but it does the job as a pre-boost very well. You can get straight into serious scratching wah territory as well as being able to extend your palette of unusual sounds. It can make some very cat-like noises, and also some "Woof" sounds, interestingly. It has a real power to it that other wahs don't have.

Adjusting the MOAN knob seems to control the mids; and the GAIN knob, obviously, controls the overall gain.

The main problem I have with it is the Sweep in Crybaby mode seeming a little awkward. It's been a while since my foot has been near an actual crybaby so I don't remember what the action was like.

But I just can't imagine any reason to fork out more for a Vox wah which does less than this. It's a seriously under-rated pedal and one of the best Wahs I've heard. The Moan function is actually USEFUL unlike some of the more extensive tweaking some tweaky wahs have.

• Members

thanks, I'll maybe look into buying one from the US off ebay (while the dollar is worthless!!) it certainly sounds good from what you are saying, and yeah, TB is a big bonus on a wah...oh one more thing, does it work in front of fuzz or is that the usual 'no go'?

• Members

thanks, I'll maybe look into buying one from the US off ebay (while the dollar is worthless!!) it certainly sounds good from what you are saying, and yeah, TB is a big bonus on a wah...oh one more thing, does it work in front of fuzz or is that the usual 'no go'?

It doesn't work in front of my Fuzz Factory, but that's just the Fuzz Factory. If I turn the gate/comp up it does, though.

My Turbo RAT does Fuzz and it works okay with it. I'm looking for a more Fuzzy Fuzz at the moment.

I have a clip of the dist tone.

http://www.box.net/shared/b20bx3ydle

Real "Money for Nothing" kind of sound. Lacks a lot of Whoomph, though. I guess using a Tubescreamer in front of it would make it awesome, ironically.

• Members
No help? :/ There's got to be tons of Wahs that cost less than Crybabies out there...

Er........ Hi Kittie?? Are you spoken for? I would like to marry you and make a life together. I like the Budda wah, it is more money than a Crybaby but if we are one flesh you may use it all da time. God I am so nervous.:love::love:

• Members
Fulltone

Buddah Wah

Teese RMC Wah

IMO, with wahs. Spend the extra change its worth it. Not only do they come TB but better parts, and more reliable.

OH and don't sound like ass..

the rocktron sounds like ass?

it's no good? :confused:

Archived