Going to GC - which distortion pedals should I consider?

dabowsa

• Members

I currently play a mod'ed DS-1. I like it.

I'd like to find something similar but with a slightly fatter/organic/tubish tone.

I have $20 to spend at GC so what better excuse to take a drive try out some pedals.

I was considering the Little Big Muff. What else should I try out when I'm there?

• Members

$20, huh? I would suggest buying a matched pair of tubes then start saving for the rest of the Amp.

Seriousely though, get a bad monkey. Place it in front of your ds-1 with the gain low and volume all the way up. Turn them both on. That should do it!

• Members

Id say a RAT, but based on the current "I thought the RAT was supposed to rock" thread, you might want to post what gear you have. If you play a heavy guitar that has buckers, a RAT might work.

The post above yours seems like something to try. Why not bring the DS-1 and a cable so that you can see how it stacks with others.

• Members

I play an SG with 490's and an SG Classic with P90's. Amp is Peavey C30 with G12H30.

I don't really have room on the pedal board for another pedal - I was looking for something that I could sub in place of the DS-1 when I feel the urge to do so.

Signal chain is guitar > TU-2 > CB-35Q > Nano Stone > OD-3 > DS-1 > CE-2 > TR-2 > DD-3 > amp.

• Members

Here's a tip not many people know about: to get a fat, bluesy distortion, get a Boss Mega Distortion. Most people overlook the pedal because they see the word "Mega" and think "R0XZ0RS." It's basically a DS-1, but with much more bottom-end control. Keep the gain almost all the way down, low at 11:30 and high at 12:30, volume to taste, and add Telecaster. Just add gain to work towards a deep, ballsy, fuzzy, incredibly broken-up, "turn that damn thing down" tone. If you watch eBay carefully, you can get one for $10-20. My tone depends on this pedal.

• Members

To be honest, I can't think of a distortion at GC that is amazing. The SD-1 is probably the best overdrive that GC will have in stock, but even then, it is no comparison to a ton of great boutique drive pedals out there. If you're going for brewwwtalll gain, the Boss ML-2 is actually not bad for a Boss pedal. Other than that, I would give Menatone a try :)

• Members

Here's a tip not many people know about: to get a fat, bluesy distortion, get a Boss Mega Distortion. Most people overlook the pedal because they see the word "Mega" and think "R0XZ0RS." It's basically a DS-1, but with much more bottom-end control. Keep the gain almost all the way down, low at 11:30 and high at 12:30, volume to taste, and add Telecaster. Just add gain to work towards a deep, ballsy, fuzzy, incredibly broken-up, "turn that damn thing down" tone. If you watch eBay carefully, you can get one for $10-20. My tone depends on this pedal.

I like the way you think.

Archived