What do you wanna see next year from Electro-Harmonix?

SpectralJulian

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Please please please make a damn Deluxe Memory Man in a smaller (XO) case! Analog, chorus/vibrato/true bypass, thanks. Nothing w/ hazarai, just their classic version of the DMM in a smaller case and maybe in 9 volt form if that was possible.

I would definitely hit a XO/Nano Frequency Analyzer too.

• Members

I don't think an XO DMM is gonna happen-

they only have 2 years left of the BBD chips for the DMM, so it is hard to justify R + D'ing a new pedal when they can only do a limited run.

Plus at 9 volts they'd have to redo a lot of the circuit and it would probably sound pretty different.

• Members
:lol:
We need to form a support group - Stompbox-obsessive-disorders anonymous (SODA).

I need to join, I had a dream that I came on here and the top thread was about the fact that behringer had bought out EHX and rehoused all the nano and XO lines in plastic boxes and discontinued all the other EHX pedals. :freak:

• Members

For me I think it is just a phase. . . A really long wallet draining phase that keeps building in intensity.

Although it was slow in the start. Over my first 2 years of electric guitar (I started acoustic xmas nearly 6 years ago and started electric guitar a few months later) I bought 4 pedals- a 20 dollar crybaby, a 60 dollar johnson delay (didn't know any better- I did mod it for an expression pedal though) , a 110 dollar Frequency Analyzer, and a 60 dollar BD-2. Oh, and the Frequency Analyzer was a bday present that my parents got me off ebay.

Then years 3 and 4 nothing.

Then last year and this year :D

• Members

they only have 2 years left of the BBD chips for the DMM, so it is hard to justify R + D'ing a new pedal when they can only do a limited run.

Plus at 9 volts they'd have to redo a lot of the circuit and it would probably sound pretty different.

I know, it's just wishful thinking really. I hope they can get it sorted out and have somebody else produce the BBD chips for them, then maybe it could happen.

• Members

Maxon's supply of original japanese Panasonic BBD chips ran out not too long ago, so they started making their own high-quality chips, which sound virtually identical to the old ones.

But Electro-Harmonix will most likely start using the cheaper chinese knock-off chips (which are still being made) so they can continue making DMM's forever. In that case an XO DMM would still be possible, although it may not sound quite as good with chinese chips.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that the newer DMM's (the ones with true bypass) have four MN3008 chips in them? The older units used two MN3005's. No difference sound-wise but it shows that they've already run out of the longer delay chips.

• Members

Maxon's supply of original japanese Panasonic BBD chips ran out not too long ago, so they started making their own high-quality chips, which sound virtually identical to the old ones.

But Electro-Harmonix will most likely start using the cheaper chinese knock-off chips (which are still being made) so they can continue making DMM's forever. In that case an XO DMM would still be possible, although it may not sound quite as good with chinese chips.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that the newer DMM's (the ones with true bypass) have four MN3008 chips in them? The older units used two MN3005's. No difference sound-wise but it shows that they've already run out of the longer delay chips.

hmmm interesting stuff phaserjunkie, thanks for the info. I don't know much about electronics but wouldn't it seem beneficial to just make your chips in-house rather than rely on a supplier. It seems weird that a pedal company that can have so many interesing designs don't want to manufacture a simple BBD chip.

• Members

true, they could and may change chips. . . but if they make an XO DMM, I bet they won't waste any of their remaining chips in it, because they'd need to redesign it once that ran out.

I concur, SpectralJulian. They would most certainly use the cheaper chips in an XO DMM and save the remaining classic chips for the final run of the original DMM, which after all is quite probably their most revered and beloved effect ever.

It will be a sad day when the last pedal comes off the assembly line. The day after that happens, price gouging will cause the last ones to skyrocket. Mark my words.

Archived