why not to get a microkorg?

MaNdU

• Members

I previously made a thread about a nwe easy to learn VA, but i can't justfy a new $700.00 for a synth right now, so i ended up with a $399.00 to spend.

Ive been GASING about a microkorg in top of my TR. Is there something wrong about that synth(other than mini keys, i really will just sequence with it as a sound module). Is the MICRON alot better?

• Members

Alesis Micron has full size keys, two mod wheels and a built in sequencer. It also has 3 oscillators per voice times 10 voice polyphony if I recall correctly. I played both the Micron and Microkorg, but the Micron was the only one that made me say, "I gotta have this."

The Microkorg has crappy little mini keys and 4 voice polyphony. Both of these synths will give you plenty of good sounds to work with but neither have very good programming if you really want to tweak every little aspect of a sound.

• Members

You could probably find a used synth for that price that would have more features and polyphony. I had a microKorg for a while and it was ok as a secondary keyboard, but I wouldn't want one for my main synth.

• Members

I previously made a thread about a nwe easy to learn VA, but i can't justfy a new $700.00 for a synth right now, so i ended up with a $399.00 to spend.

Ive been GASING about a microkorg in top of my TR. Is there something wrong about that synth(other than mini keys, i really will just sequence with it as a sound module). Is the MICRON alot better?

Theres a few issues with the microkorg that really bug me and I'm sure most other users.

The mini keys suck, but thats not a problem for you.

The sound engine is pretty difficult to learn, as the whole idea of having only 5 knobs on a polysynth doesnt work well at all.

Something about it just doesn't feel right.

When you pick one up it doesn't have that "lets {censored}ing rock out" feel that most other synthesizers do. Maybe its just the unfriendly interface.

However, the vocoder is SPOT on. I love it, and I suggest plugging a regular dynamic mic in rather than the one that comes with it, the added clarity is a big help.

As for a comparison to the micron, its harder to edit than the microkorg, and has a completely different sound. Alesis built the micron/ion to sound as analog as possible. its much warmer and bassier than the microkorg/ms.

The Microkorg makes for a great digital synth; dont think about trying to sound really analog, with the MS engine only gobs of production will help that. It has a much more cold and digital sound, which isn't necessarily bad, its just the way it sounds. Especially with the DWGS waveforms.

The Micron however is purposely built to sound analog, and does it very well.

If you're looking for a good polysynth within that price range, look for a Korg polysix, or a Roland Juno 60 on the cheap.

I'd also recommend some older Va's, that might be a bit pricier, but try a Nord Lead 1, or a Roland Jp8000/8080.

If you can spare the extra cash, also check out the MS2000, same engine as the microkorg, but it has a few more features, full size keys, and a knob per function setup.

-Joey

• Members

The Micron is not a good synth for learning how to program analog type patches. Get something used that has dedicated knobs and sliders. The more you have in front of you that can be accessed without a menu, the faster you will learn and the more you will enjoy the process.

• Members

I love my microkorg. The minikeys don't bother me, cos I control it with a full size keyboard.

I think it sounds great. Whether it's analog sounding or not doesn't really bother me. The low end is gut wrenching.

The interface is a bit of pain, particularly for trying to control everything in real time, but I suppose it takes a bit of getting used to.

Plus, put some batteries in it, and a wireless jack lead, and take it out into the audience and let them {censored} about with it. Always fun! ;)

• Members

A very spartan interface and no text display to help you out... and you are looking for something easy to learn? Plus dinky keys. Plus limited polyphony. Any of those things on it's own would knock it out of contention for me, and it's got all three of them.

Your $400 will go a lot farther if you are patient and shop used. If I sound like a broken record I'm sorry....

• Members

If you're looking for a good polysynth within that price range, look for a Korg polysix, or a Roland Juno 60 on the cheap.

Those two are excellent choices but I really wouldn't be looking for a Polysix if I were you. If you get one on the cheap, there's a 99% chance it's got the infamous battery leakage syndrome and you'll spend more time and money on fixing it than on playing. Otherwise, fully working and restored P6's go for way more than 400 beans.

• Members

A very spartan interface and no text display to help you out... and you are looking for something easy to learn? Plus dinky keys. Plus limited polyphony. Any of those things on it's own would knock it out of contention for me, and it's got all three of them.

Your $400 will go a lot farther if you are patient and shop used. If I sound like a broken record I'm sorry....

Best advice I've heard all day. :)

Archived