Cry Baby mods, comments?

fly135

• Members

I just picked one up last night for $25 model GCB-95. The pedal looks perfect inside and out, but it sounds awful. When engaged the wah is very limited and sounds muted. In bypass the volume jumps up. Using wall wart that powered my Morley Wah. So power is cool. 9V center neg.

I'm figuring there is something wrong with it, but wondered if others have it and like it. Also, since I'm going to have to do something with the circuit inside I was wondering if anyone has had any joy doing a mod on one of these?

Soliciting :confused: comments

• Members

Thanks. Do you run the wah before other pedals? I'm asking because the true bypass doesn't seem like it would do anything noticable if the wah was after an active pedal. The schematic shows the switch bypasses the circuitry in the current design. The true bypass only disconnects the wah circuit from loading the input. That doesn't seem to be critical is the wah is after an active pedal.

This pedal sounds like total crap right now. I have a Morley wah and is sounds much better. I'm running the wah after the distortion pedals.

• Members

The wah without the bypass regardless of te position is a MAJOR tone sucker, it just plain ruins the signal.

With the true bypass your guitar signal does not get affected by the wah so is still clear and not {censored}e and muffled and bland (it really is that bad, although you know this seeing as your modding it.)

I personally run it first simply because I like the subtle sound it gives before disortion rather than the drastic effect of loss of gain and volume which happens after.

Hope that helps.

• Members

There probably isn't anything wrong with it. I just recently gave mine away cause it was so god-awful. There is a very noticable volume drop when engaged and it sucks alot of tone. I picked up a crybaby classic. It has a red Fasel and it's true by-pass. I bought it cause I was too lazy to buy the mod kit and do it myself. I kind of wish I would have modded it so I could compare the two.

• Members

which pedals are also in your chain and engaged?

i have a gcb-95 and a byoc phase 90 clone, and the two don't like each other when both engaged.

i did tbp mod and changed some resistors and removed the buffer circuit on the wah and it is much better now. but still when phase 90 is on i loose a lot of bottom end when moving the wah back position.

some combinations of pedals do not work well

Archived