what is best overall delay setting for solos and rhythm

Warriormetal

• Members

Honestly, I can't see you getting many sensible responses to this question. What style of music are we talking about? Depending on what you're trying to do, you could set your delay any of a million ways.

If you already have a delay pedal, why not just experiment until you find something you like? Alternatively, you could try posting a "how do I get the delay sound on _______?" thread. Specific questions will get you much better answers, and your own experimentation will probably do you more good than hours on Harmonycentral.

• Members

Here's a sensible response. I'm looking at my DigiDelay and here's what I have set:

Level: to taste

Repeats: 2 (so the Repeats knob is set at the 5th notch, about 11 o'clock)

Time: About 625 ms (Time knob at the 5th notch)

Mode: 2

This gives me a good "lead" delay that doesn't repeat too much and adds lushness to my soloing. I'm assuming this is what you are asking for in regards to solo tone.

I used the same settings for picking patterns and strumming chords. Again, not too many repeats so that the notes and chords are distinguishable.

• Members

why not? Think of Scotty Moore without slapback....rock and roll would be very different today if Elvis didn't have that kind of delay induced groove to the rhythm. There are tons of great delay rhythms out there.

Ah, but slapback is something else! Slapback is ok, I was thinking more about long delay on rythm. Now that's messy...

• Members

Ah, but slapback is something else! Slapback is ok, I was thinking more about long delay on rythm. Now that's messy...

it is unless you have a very good understanding of musical theory, chord construction, and can use the delays to your advantage. Danny Gatton does some things with long delay rhythm by filling up his sound with building blocks of intervals to make orchestral passages that are amazing.

• Members

basically its all about taste, you need to learn how to use your delay pedal before actually using it, take a week or 2 into just getting to know it, its settings and what kind of sound you like/can get out of it.

i dont think that's a good idea, i took my pedal out to dinner once, he just repeated everything i did, what a moron :freak:

Archived