Someone Tell Me About METASONIX pedals...

!i!i!i!i!i!

• Members

They are SO MUCH FUN in a modular synth or recording setup. I'm sure you could use them with guitars, but I don't think that's what they're really geared toward. I use the preamp, filters and butt probe on drum loops all the time, it makes them sound like they're going to come out of the speakers and butt probe you.

• Members

It is also possible to use some Metasonix devices in a clean, subtle manner. The marketing focuses on high-gain distortion because that is what started selling units after a few years of neglect. For guitarists, the TM-5 is an obvious choice. It is the best preamp for electric bass that I've ever heard. The timbre ranges from slight overdrive to insane, asymmetrical soft-clipping. The TM-7 starts with more clipping and stretches much further. The TM-7 works best when the signal has been boosted a bit (such as the output of the TM-5). The TM-1 sounds and behaves like nothing else. Very much for lovers of controlled chaos. The TM-6 is a great all purpose filter that can be very subtle when input level is moderate and resonance is low. The TM-2 is best for a modular system. The filter is less versatile than the TM-6, but has a distinct, lovely tone and the pentode VCA makes it worthwhile. The TM-3 and S-1000 are great with modular systems, but the nearly Hz/V response of the oscillators is very hard for a lot of people to deal with. Analog sequencers with MIDI or CV control of step selection are ideal controllers. I have some rather abstract, post-serial type demos of the S-1000, TM-1, TM-2, TM-3, TM-6 and TM-7 here: http://www.twango.com/channel/dhernandez.public

Archived